Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4800APs and power.

We are testing some new 4800 APs and they shouw up as PoE/Half Power on a 9300 switch. All I can find online to allow full power is a snipit of "Disable USB and AUX port. Limit mGig to 1GbE"

Now, nowhere can I find how to do this. I would hope a controller setting, but I'm betting it's CLI to make it a real pain if we roll out 1K+ of these.

Anyone have any instructions on how to turn the suggested features off?

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Which model of Cat9300 are you using?

As far as I know the USB and AUX Port cannot be disabled. What they mean in the document is to not connect them. And the speed, limit the port speed at the switch side "speed 1000".

Get show power inline from the switch and show cdp inline_power from the AP and share the outputs to see what are they negotiating.
** Please rate helpful posts **

CCIE #58023

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Which model of Cat9300 are you using?

As far as I know the USB and AUX Port cannot be disabled. What they mean in the document is to not connect them. And the speed, limit the port speed at the switch side "speed 1000".

Get show power inline from the switch and show cdp inline_power from the AP and share the outputs to see what are they negotiating.

CCIE #58023

Thanks, was just wanting to verify it's not dropping radios or functions.

Switch and AP shows 29.9watts negotiated. I was more concerned as the WLC says PoE/Medium Power (25.5 W) and wanted to make sure it wasn't cutting any functions. It's also in a 1gig port as we didn't buy mgig switches.

When that happens usually you can see the effect at the AP using show controllers do1 and show controllers do0

Under the "Radio Info Summary" you'll see a message about it. For example:

Radio disabled due to PoE!!

Hope that helps.

CCIE #58023

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I've got some 4800 in testing right now. They need 32w. If operating between 20w to 30w, the following gets disabled:
1. USB port
2. mGIG to only 1 Gbps
3. A few other useless stuff that I don't remember
Make sure the controller is running 8.8.X.X.
Note: Watch out for 8.8MR1 in the next few weeks.

AhmedHamad77
Level 4
Level 4

can you explain how to Disable USB and AUX port. Limit mGig to 1GbE from Controller Side for Bulk APs

Ahmed Hamad

@AhmedHamad77 wrote:

can you explain how to Disable USB and AUX port. 

Configure port PoE to only 30w. 

@AhmedHamad77 wrote:

Limit mGig to 1GbE from Controller Side for Bulk APs

speed auto 1000

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card