Views
Helpful
Replies

5508 --> 5760

dan.letkeman
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

We are looking at possibly adding a second 5508 controller to our network and running in HA mode.  I see now that there are 5760's available that run on IOS.  Is there any way we can integrate a 5760 into our existing network instead of going with a second 5508?   I would prefer to invest in newer hardware whenever possible.

Thanks,
Dan.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You can purchase a WLC HA sku with 0 AP license to do N+1. If you already have a WLC, then test you need a 50 AP license in order to do HA or N+1. N+1 is the same if you have two WLC with licenses. The only difference is that if you have license on both WLC you can slip the load. Half the AP's on one WLC and the other half in the other. With N+1, one will have all the AP's and when the primary fails, then the AP's would move to the other.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

grabonlee
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

5760 doesn't support HA with AP SSO. The functionality is however planned to be included in the future. I would advise that you consider all features active on your network including planned features you want to implement before buying a different controller model. For example 5760 dosn't support Flexconnect, Office-Extend and Mesh modes. Below is a comparison chart to help you make an informed decision.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/products_category_buyers_guide.html#~controllers

Ah, thanks for pointing that out.  Flexconnect is needed in my enviroment.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Currently, there are alot of people who will be discouraging others to use the HA with AP SSO due to instability.  All codes that support HA with AP SSO (including 7.4.100.60) are unstable and can potentially make your darkest days come true.

Yes, I have read about all of the HA issues.  We would not be implementing this soon, but in the nearish future.  Other than HA are there any other redundant options?

N+1 is your safest bet.  Expensive, but it works.

That looks like a good option.  Does the backup controller require licenses or are we able to use the built in evaluation licenses?

Dan.

Does the backup controller require licenses or are we able to use the built in evaluation licenses?

Unfortunately, the backup controller will need a license.

Say you have the following:

Primary Controller - 200 AP's, with 200 AP licenses.

Backup Controller - 0 AP's, with 50 AP License

According to this document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/hi_avail/nplus1_deploy.pdf

"HA-SKU Secondary Controller

A secondary controller running a minimum AP count license and configured as an HASKU controller provides the maximum AP capacity as supported by the hardware. For

instance, a 5508 WLC running a 50 AP count license and configured as an HA-SKU

secondary controller provides support for 500 APs. (See Figures 12 and 13.)"

This makes sense to me as it should workt the same as running an HA controller, which I believe you don't need AP licenses for.  So in my mind, that does not make it an expensive option, if all you have to do is buy a second controller.

So in my mind, that does not make it an expensive option, if all you have to do is buy a second controller.

You forgot one major factor:  Your premise is that HA with AP SSO is working fine.  Currently, HA with AP SSO ain't working well.

Yes, but we were talking about N+1....not HA with SSO

Ahhhh, ok.

So this means that if your primary controller goes down, only 50 APs will move to the secondary controller.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Nintendo App

Leo,

That is incorrect.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps6302/ps8322/ps10315/qa_c67-714540.html

Q.Do I need to buy access point licenses on my standby controller?

A. No. When the active controller is unavailable, the standby controller will adopt the licenses from the primary controller. It is expected that customer is able to get the primary back online within 90 days. After 90 days, the customer will get a daily reminder to switch back to the primary controller.

You can purchase a WLC HA sku with 0 AP license to do N+1. If you already have a WLC, then test you need a 50 AP license in order to do HA or N+1. N+1 is the same if you have two WLC with licenses. The only difference is that if you have license on both WLC you can slip the load. Half the AP's on one WLC and the other half in the other. With N+1, one will have all the AP's and when the primary fails, then the AP's would move to the other.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks Scott.

Do you know if Prime will manage the config on both the Primary and Backup controllers to keep them the same?

Dan.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card