cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

5508 WLC Upgrade from 7.0.116 to 7.2.111.3

awatson20
Level 4
Level 4

I am planing to upgrade 2 of my 5508 series WLC from 7.0.116 to version 7.2.111.3.  I understand that legacy AP's are no longer supported.  Is there any other issues I should be aware of that others have experienced?  Is the upgrade straight-forward just like other code upgrades?  Thank you.

19 Replies 19

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I always recommend taking a look at the release notes for the version you are going to. Look at the Caveats section both Resolved and UnResolved.

But other than the AP support, I've not really hit any issues upgrading to 7.2. If you see a FUS image, make sure you load that as well, following the instructions.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Stephen.  I did read about the FUS image.  What exactly is this?  Is this a backup image?  This is really the only area I was not very clear on. 

Here is the info on the FUS:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/fus_rn_1_7_0_0.html

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks so much for all the information.  Afterr reading throught this, it makes sense now.  I do have one more question. After doing a show sysinfo on these controllers, it does look like the FUS does need to be updated.  Should I perform this before I upgrade to version 7.2 code, or after I have peformed the upgrade to 7.2, or does it matter?

(Cisco Controller) >show sysinfo

Manufacturer's Name.............................. Cisco Systems Inc.

Product Name..................................... Cisco Controller

Product Version.................................. 7.0.116.0

Bootloader Version............................... 1.0.1

Field Recovery Image Version..................... 6.0.182.0

Firmware Version................................. FPGA 1.3, Env 1.6, USB console 1.27

Build Type....................................... DATA + WPS

Has to be some after the WLC is upgraded to v7.2. It takes around 35-45 minutes to complete.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

During the 35-45 minutes, is the Controller/AP's up or are they down for that time?

Ok, I have been told that the FUS update needs to be performed after the upgrade to 7.2.  A Cisco SE just told me to do this before the upgrade to 7.2.  Can someone please elaborate on this either way and which is the best route?  Will it work either way?

Thanks.

I would do it before the upgrade. 

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

It's down!

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have only done it after an initial upgrade. That's what the release notes say.

-Scott

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Don't upgrade to 7.2.X.  Instead consider 7.3.102.0.

awatson20
Level 4
Level 4

I have been told there are issues with guest anchoring on v7.3 code.

Well I have clients with all different code versions along with the 7.3.... no problems so far with anchoring.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

No issues here either with anchoring across versions. Newer code has introduced a hash for supporting virtual controllers but otherwise the same config setup.
//art

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card