Views
Helpful
Replies

5520 HA Design

abdulhmalik
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

We have 2 x 5520 WLCs in our primary DC. We have configured them for AP SSO to minimize any downtime. We are looking to deploy a 3rd 5520 WLC to have kind of a tertiary backup to monitor the health of the WLCs in the primary DC. My question is I was told these two deisgns are mutually exclusive and cant be used in conjunction with one another? How true is this? Can I use the pair of 5520s with N+1 redundancy model for the 3rd 5520?  Bear in mind that we do have L2 VPLS between the 2 DCs. Also how would licensing work in this situation? Would my 300 AP licenses be sufficient or do I need additional ones for the backup (tertiary WLC)? Thanks so much!

Regards,

AB

2 Replies 2

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

yes you can have 1 wlc as secondary if both ha members fails. 

You can use the mobility configuration group.

For licenses, I don't remember as I'm not an expert in sales but at least you should have enough AP licenses to hosts all your APs  

You can have a look on this document page 45:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/7-5/High_Availability_DG.pdf

Thanks 

PS:Please don't forget to rate and mark as correct answer if this answered your question 

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Hello Guys,

you can have 5520 as a backup and configure the HA directly in the access points in case that your 5508's fails access points are going to reach the 5520. the 5520 has RTU licenses, just verify that information.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card