Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

5520 HA with Multiple AP-Manager Interfaces in different IP Ranges

Hi Team,

we have a 5520 HA cluster with LAG enabled and Flex APs in many locations.
Now we have a VLAN/IP-Address redesign and want to move the management interface into a new IP Range. 
For the migration period we want to use the 'old' Management Interface and the 'new' Management Interface in co-existence to migrate the locations step by step.

The idea is to use Multiple AP-Manager Interfaces to get the co-existence.

Should this be possible?

In the documentation I see :

1.  only one AP-Manager Interface per LAG, so LAG needs to be disabled

2. All AP-manager interfaces must be on the same VLAN or IP subnet of the management interface. Preferably, all should be part of management interface's subnet.

(https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless-mobility-documents/lag-link-aggregation/ta-p/3128669)

-> is Point 2 definitiv?

Or, does anyone know another way for a smart migration?

I would appreciate any hints.

best regards

Christian

5 Replies 5

Hello @christian.hofbauer 

The above-mentioned two points are definitely "True". I don't think this is possible to keep the 'old' Management Interface and the 'new' Management Interface in a co-existence state.

***Please mark all helpful posts***

Spooster IT Services Team

Hello  @Spooster IT Services,

thanks for your respond!

i also found this thread:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/wireless-lan-controller-5508-multiple-ap-manager-interfaces/m-p/1596380

Statement:

For Cisco 5500 Series Controllers in a non-link-aggregation (non-LAG) configuration, the management interface must be on a different VLAN than any dynamic AP-manager interface. Otherwise, the management interface cannot fail over to the port that the AP-manager is on.

That means the contrary, as it has to be on the same vlan, so I'm confused.

best regards

Christian

@christian.hofbauer 

Yes In a non-LAG deployment you can set up the management interface failover between the ports and multiple AP-Manager with different VLAN and IP subnet. But as you mentioned above that you have a LAG set up so this is not applicable in your case. 

@Spooster IT Services 

Sorry, I guess I've made myself misunderstood.

I'm aware of the first step is to disable LAG. 

After disable LAG it should be possible to have 2 AP-Manger Interfaces, one on Port1 and another on Port2, in different VLANs?

In this scenario it should be possible, Flex AP's from the sites can connect to old Managment IP and a new AP-Manager Interface IP.

best regards

Christian 

No Worries @christian.hofbauer. Please find my response in the lines below.

After disable LAG it should be possible to have 2 AP-Manger Interfaces, one on Port1 and another on Port2, in different VLANs?

Yes, it is possible in that scenario. 

In this scenario it should be possible, Flex AP's from the sites can connect to the old Management IP and a new AP-Manager Interface IP.

Yes.

***Please rate all helpful posts***

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card