Views
Helpful
Replies

5Ghz - Multiple country codes - UNII-II

Wellington L
Level 1
Level 1

Hello People,

I have one question about multiple countries.

Actually i'm using one controller with BR configuration but i was searching about channels used in Brazil in theis frequency i can use more channels than controller show me today and it is important to me.

When i use just BR configuration in the WLC i can set in the DCA the channels below :

56, 60, 64, 149, 153, 157, 161,165 without UNII-II and with UNII-II i can use many others channels.

Is recommend to use UNII-II or not ? Because i was reading about it and the controller use the DFS for these frequencies and change channels many times.

Frequencies in Brazil http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels#5.C2.A0GHz_.28802.11a.2Fh.2Fj.2Fn.29.5B13.5D

I tried to use multiple countries in the WLC with BR and US and the channels opened were :

36,40,44,48,52,56, 60, 64, 149, 153, 157, 161,165

Can someone help me with these questions ?

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Keep in mind your controller doesnt "control" the channels you can have. Rather the access point does, If you get a US ap, you get only US channel. If you get a GB ap, you get only GB channels.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

Maybe -- Performance wise, if your clients are in domain BR they may only scan those channels and respect those power requirements. Also,understand you could be exceeding that domains regulatory laws.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

If DFS is in your regulator domain, I would recommend not using those channel .. Even if you aren't close to an airport DFS can still be seen from other government and weather reporting agency's. DFS is a algorithm in of itself. It includes channel announcements and channel moves and could and very likly will disrupt VoWiFi communications. If you want to contend with DFS  and use those channel, I might recommend reading up on DFS, as a standard and how it works  and how Cisco works with it specifically. So you can better educate yourself incase you get voice complaints.

I would avoid it ...

I hope that helps ..

10 Replies 10

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Keep in mind your controller doesnt "control" the channels you can have. Rather the access point does, If you get a US ap, you get only US channel. If you get a GB ap, you get only GB channels.

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What is the model of your APs?

Adding a channel to the WLC is not enough. You have to go to the AP config and set the country from the list. The list lists the countries that you configured on the WLC.

HTH

Amjad

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

My APs are using country code BR equal Controllers.

The models are

AIR-LAP1041N-A-K9

AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9

AIR-LAP1042N-A-K9

Thanks.

The "A" is for North America. Those APs will only support North America channels.

Yes,I know it, but i need to know if i put multiple countries in the controller configuration with BR and US, i will have problems.

Maybe -- Performance wise, if your clients are in domain BR they may only scan those channels and respect those power requirements. Also,understand you could be exceeding that domains regulatory laws.

Ok. Thanks.

I will maintain in BR country code.

Is recommend to enable UNII-II for VoWLAN ?

Thanks.

If DFS is in your regulator domain, I would recommend not using those channel .. Even if you aren't close to an airport DFS can still be seen from other government and weather reporting agency's. DFS is a algorithm in of itself. It includes channel announcements and channel moves and could and very likly will disrupt VoWiFi communications. If you want to contend with DFS  and use those channel, I might recommend reading up on DFS, as a standard and how it works  and how Cisco works with it specifically. So you can better educate yourself incase you get voice complaints.

I would avoid it ...

I hope that helps ..

Thanks.

If you do choose to use those channels you will get alarms notifying you that DFS has just occurred and that the access point are moving channels

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: