Views
Helpful
Replies

7.0.116.0 AP Failover Priority ?

Jason Aarons
Level 6
Level 6

In WLC 5508 >  All APs > Details for APe8b7.489e.2470 > High Availability

I want to make sure I understand AP Failover Priority.

I have two WLC 5508s in same MobilityGroup/redundancy on campus.  Each WLC has 50 AP license with 50 APs registered.  If WLC-A goes down I want Building A (Campus Police) APs to be up, so for Building A's APs I set the High Availibity to Critical (default is low)

When failover occurs the WLC will kick off other Low APs to allow the Crittical APs to register?

Lastly can I use AP Groups or WCS to push a template with AP Failover Priority?  What if someone installs a new AP in the Campus Policy Building and forgets to set the Failover Priority?

2 Replies 2

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Correct, the higher priority wins.  Unfortunately, you can't determine which 'low' priority AP will be punted.  But works like a champ in my teting.

If someone forget to set priority, it will be low/default.  So you'd have to add the template to the AP.  Or put it on the "Add AP to WLC" checklist

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

+5

One additional note, you will need to make sure AP Failover Priority is globally enabled on the WLCs (it's disabled by default):

On WLC GUI:

Wireless > Access Points > Global Configuration > AP Failover Priority

-Pat

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card