cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7920 not registering with Call Manager on some AP

cburcham
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 7920 wireless IP phone that I've updated to the latest firmware (1.07). My problem is that on a few of our AP350's (3 that I known of), the 7920 will not register with the call manager. It will associate and authenticate, and I can even have DHCP enabled (I have an IP address set for the MAC address of this phone in the DHCP server), but it will not register with the call managers on a few. One building we have three AP's, all 3 are 350's, all three plugged into a 6509 catalyst switch. One AP I'm able to register with the Call manager (it has firmware 12.03T), the other two, it will just cycle thru the call managers and never register (one has firmware 12.03T, the other 12.04). All my AP's are on the same vlan, same SSID, 128bit WEP. Ports the AP's are plugged into are dot1q trunked because we have 4 vlans set up on all of them. The Call Manager version we are running is 3.3(3)sr1. Any suggestions? I tried updating one of the AP's to the latest firmware, 12.04, but that didn't work. In addition, one was already at that firmware version. I'm at a loss here. Again, it associates, authenticates, gets an IP address, but does not register with the call managers on a few AP's. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3 Replies 3

So you are able to associate to the AP, but no ip connectivity to CallManager. Can you ping phone from CM and vice versa? If not, check the 7920 network config and switchport settings. If you see TFTP_AS_CM as CM1 in 7920 config, then the 7920 isn't able to communicate w/ the TFTP server. Ensure there are no access-lists blocking. Can also check wireless sniffer as well. Also recommended to upgrade to IOS as VxWorks is getting phased out. For more info, refer to http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_white_paper0900aecd800f6d97.shtml.

Thanks for the suggestion, I found out what my problem was. Under the AP Radio Advanced, I needed to set the Ethernet Encapsulation Transform to RFC1042 because the phone showed up as a generic client and not a CISCO client. After I changed that setting, the phone was able to register with the call manager through the access points that were'nt previously letting it do so. Thanks again.

If using 802.1q trunk, AP must be set to RFC1042.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card