cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

8.5.120.0 released, no upgrade patch for 8.2 and older?!?

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi All

I just realized that 8.5.120.0 has been released.

Release notes: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn85mr2.html

What surprised me though, there is no upgrade path for 8.2 and older. Is this missing in the documentation or indeed correct?!?

Table 2 Upgrade Path to Cisco WLC Software Release 8.5.120.0

Current Software Release

Upgrade Path to 8.5.120.0 Software

8.3.x.0

You can upgrade directly to Release 8.5.120.0

You can upgrade directly to Release 8.5.120.0

That's it, the whole (current) table. There also aren't any notes for older releases.

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I suspect it's a document "bug".
Fill in the "Feedback" (upper right-hand corner) form and the document owner should get in contact with you.

Good idea, will right do this.

KuayIT
Level 1
Level 1

I just have managed to sucessfully upgrade from version 8.2 to 8.5 and currrently i have no issues.

I'm looking into upgrading from 8.2.161 to 8.5.120 as well, I have one primary concern you may be able to answer.....  I have ISE 2.1 for a RADIUS server, they recommend 2.2 or 2.3 in the release notes.  Do you have ISE running in your environment and if so, is it 2.1?  I'm just concerned with losing our 802.1x authentication over wireless if I upgrade to 8.5....

No idea, I don't use the ISE. If you have a test environment, that would be the way to go.
I'm using Windows NPS Radius for the 802.1x.

Okay thanks! I think I'm moving forward with the upgrade... Reached over to TAC and they said though it is not listed there should not be serious interoperability issues.

Unless you have a very specific reason I would wait at least for 8.5 MR3 based on this bug for CoS APs and this bug for IOS APs. In case you decide to go ahead my advice would be to check out this link once a week to stay informed about new found issues.

Please rate useful posts... :-)

@Freerk Terpstra wrote:

In case you decide to go ahead my advice would be to check out this link once a week to stay informed about new found issues.

There has been a strange "policy shift" in regards to Cisco documentation (including Bug IDs)h  

For one, the Release Notes no longer lists down all the Open or Fixed Caveats. Not all Critical bugs are published in the Release Notes. 
Next, the only way to find out what bugs are Open or Fixed is to use the temperimental Cisco Bug Toolkit or Cisco Bug Search Tool (or whatever it is called this month). 
Finally, once you've zeroed in to the bug, it is not guarantee that 40% of the details in the bug are accurate or up-to-date. Recently, I've been observing that the information found in the Bug IDs are not really that accurate (or makes any sense) and never/rarely updated. The only thing that gets automatically updated is the amount of Support Cases that the bug get mentioned.  
Now this isn't just happening in the wireless "silo" but it is widespread. I've seen this in LAN and WAN.

My recommendation to anyone reading this is this:  If in doubt, raise a TAC Case.  

(I understand that by doing so will tax TAC but I don't see any way out.)  

I also suggest to wait a little bit longer. My test controller, which is running 8.5.120.0 decided to crash and reboot last week, after I changed a RRM setting and saved.

It since works again without reboot.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card