Views
Helpful
Replies

9105 AX Lan Ports configuration

admincco1
Level 1
Level 1

Hey,

I've had a request come in where the customer wants to plug a VoIP phone into the AP. On my discovery of the bestway to do this. I have found that the APs have a passthrough port, luckily these were all patched into the switches at the time of install so in theory I will just drop the config onto the switch port.

This did get me thinking though -

1. How do you configure the LAN ports on the APs?

The APs are in lightweight mode. Do we then need to add the voice VLAN to the WLC? The VLAN interfaces currently live on the core switch.

Would you need to change the switch port to the AP from an access port to a trunk?

What would be the best practice for this. Cisco don't seem to have any documentation on this.

Thank-you in advance.

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
customer wants to plug a VoIP phone into the AP

Let me get this right to digest, AP has 1 ethernet port, you want to use that port to connect to Phone.

then AP should be in Bridge mode right ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi Balaji, 

Thank-you for the quick response. So the APs are by default in bridged mode.

I guess my question is what is the best practice for configuring the VLAN on the APs LAN ports?

Under Configuration > Edit AP > LAN port settings (Photo attached)

My understanding is, the VLAN will then need creating on the WLC which will go to the core?

Thank-you

Jake

ammahend
VIP
VIP

On my discovery of the bestway to do this. I have found that the APs have a passthrough port

I don’t think pass through would pass poe, it’s just data, so you can connect a laptop, printer etc directly to switch using pass through and it will continue functioning if the AP is down but for devices needing poe like phone has to be eth1 (which supports 10.5w poe out) 

1. How do you configure the LAN ports on the APs?

your config on AP looks good for eth1

What I am not sure about it if the AP will terminate traffic locally on switch from eth1 or tunnel it back to WLC, but that’s easy to test with a capture. 
If it tunnels back to WLC then yes you will need that vlan on wlc

if if terminates locally then you need to configure the port as trunk along with voice vlan and ensure voice vlan is locally present on local switch. 

-hope this helps-
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card