cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9120AXI-E

evanp456
Level 1
Level 1

I cannot access the CLI. I follow the Factory Reset directions but I never get to the command prompt.
Any suggestions?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

evanp456
Level 1
Level 1

I think I figured it out, I just need to exit the boot process, there is a count down 10 secs. Then I can go to the u-boot prompt. From there I can try to access the tftp server and load the new image to the AP and convert it to EWC.

Many thanks for your help guys.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- What happens then , what problems are you encountering (elaborate) ?

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hi

If you are trying to access the AP from the network, make sure you have recheability and the AP is properly configured with SSH.

If you are trying to use console cable keep in mind that not all console cables works with APs. First test the cable with any other deices an see if works. 

evanp456
Level 1
Level 1

I have attached a blue original serial cable from Cisco. It works perfectly well on other Cisco equipment.

It reaches a point that starts a count up, at 20+ seconds I relase the button.
It does receive an IP from the DHCP Server and I can ping the AP.
After finalizing the boot process; I would expect to see the signin.

I have used putty and I have attached the log file putty.txt.

Please advice.

- From your putty.txt   I can see that the AP seems to be running a CAPWAP (controller intended client) image, in that case default SSH will not be possible unless the AP joins  a controller and then SSH access is configured and or allowed on the controller for the specific AP (or global)

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

My intention is to convert the AP with an image that has Embedded WLC. 

>....My intention is to convert the AP with an image that has Embedded WLC. 
    Then you will need a command as illustrated below (to convert), of course the needed image must be available first on your local tftp server from which the address may vary too ,also download ewc image from cisco download site , as a result image names in example below may vary.
                     AP1#ap-type ewc-ap tftp://192.168.1.25/ap1g7 tftp://192.168.1.25/C9800-AP-iosxe-wlc.bin
                  (also note that it is required to specify two different images: one for the AP and one for the EWC. )

M.

When I read  your post, I though you could not connect to the AP using console cable as you said "I cannot access the CLI."

But actually you can not login on the Access point. And you can not because this AP is a capwap AP and it is trying to join a WLC and that´s what capwap AP is suppose to do when they boot up.

[*04/05/2023 09:41:53.8400] CAPWAP State: Discovery

[*04/05/2023 09:41:53.8420] IP DNS query for CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER.domain.lan

[*04/05/2023 09:41:53.8580] Discovery Request sent to 255.255.255.255, discovery type UNKNOWN(0)

[*04/05/2023 09:42:23.2990]

Per the above logs, the AP woke up and is trying to find a WLC to join.  The access point on this states, will try to join a WLC using broadcast, DNS and DHCP and if all fail, it will  reboot and start over and over.

What you need to do is either provide a WLC on the network or replace the software on the Access Point for Mobility Express.

Follow this guide as reference:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjouNPU0JL-AhUVqJUCHWIuAf4QFnoECAkQAw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fsemfionetworks.com%2Fblog%2Fconvert-a-cisco-capwap-ap-to-a-mobility-express-ap%2F&usg=AOvVaw0XufOK7bKf8M2M... 

Effectively I am doing the very same thing with a PC and the latest firmware for 9120.
But the very first thing that need to happen, as in the suggested article, is to get to the 9120 command prompt. I thought that resetting the 9102 would allow me to get to the command prompt. Is there a way to do this?

get console prompt on capwap AP is trick cause it does not stop sending logs and reload all the time.

Try to press enter key many time and wait. If you get the prompt try to disable logs

no logging console 

or logging console disable

Another useful command for capwap AP is 

debug capwap console cli

Gaurav  Kansal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi evan

Please test the console cable after determining which serial port is functional for the console.
Please check console on other network devices and if it is not working then only change your console or if you using usb to serial cable then check from device mgmt from which COM port it is replying. then chose correct COM port.
Rather doing all this if you not able to get console then your access point would be faulty.

GoodLuck..

evanp456
Level 1
Level 1

I think I figured it out, I just need to exit the boot process, there is a count down 10 secs. Then I can go to the u-boot prompt. From there I can try to access the tftp server and load the new image to the AP and convert it to EWC.

Many thanks for your help guys.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

You don't need to do it from u-boot.

But if you don't get any response to key-presses then 99.9% chance you are not using a suitable cable (the cable that connects to your PC, probably USB, not the blue Cisco console cable).  There are many cheap cables which DO NOT WORK with Cisco APs even though they work fine with other Cisco routers, switches etc.

This one works for me: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MYQPYKR

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card