cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9166 access point not joing WLC 9800

manish5414
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks, We just bought a Cisco Wireless Controller 9800 and Access point 9166l-A
Am trying to join the access point to controller but it is not joining.
I can see the blinking Red and Green light on access point
When i am checking the logs on Controller, i can see the access point is Broadcasting CAPWAP request.
but joining is not happening

more weird thing is, i was able to get access point console but after restarting the access point i am not even able to console Access point using putty 

7 Replies 7

manish5414
Level 1
Level 1

Logs from WLC

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post the complete output to the following commands: 

1.  WLC:  sh version
2.  AP:  sh version
3.  AP:  sh capwap client rcb

Rich R
VIP
VIP

You haven't answered Leo's questions and you really haven't given enough info to go on but minimum WLC software version required to support 9166 is 17.9.x (refer to compatibility matrix link below) - currently 17.9.4 as per the TAC recommended link below so make sure your WLC software is up to date first.

If the software is up date and it still doesn't work then capture any logs from the WLC (show log) and capture the full console log from the AP from power on and attach here as a .txt (text) file (do not paste the whole log here - it's too long).

Console issue is most likely a cable problem - generally cables based on genuine FTDI chipset are best for Cisco APs.
I use https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MYQPYKR but any similar cable should work.  Always check reviews first to make sure the cable has been tested with a Cisco AP.  If in doubt then factory reset the AP.
If the cable goes into USB power saving mode tapping a key should wake it up.

HI Leo and Rich 
Thanks for your quick reply 

I had an issue with Firewall rules.
After reconfiguring the polices and WLC management Ip, am able to join the AP 

But am still having issue with console port 
i have tested the console cable with router switch and another access points, it is working, only one specific  Access Point is having issue.
It happen after i reset the ap.
I was initially able to get console of this access point.
I tried with baud rate 9600 , 115200 

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Standard console settings: 9600 8,N,1

First you said: after restarting the access point i am not even able to console  =  reload or power cycle
Then you said: It happen after i reset the ap - do you mean you did a factory reset as I suggested or simply that you reloaded or power cycled as you said initially?

manish5414
Level 1
Level 1

HI Thanks For your help guys 
I was able to join Access points 
My internal firewall was blocking the CAPWAP request 
After configuring firewall properly i was able to join Access points 

Thanks 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card