cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9800-CL AP joining random controllers

chadrife1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Community. I'm at a lost on this particular issue.  

I have a mix of 2800 , 3700 , 9100 in the environment.  We are currently running on three separate AWS Cloud 8900-CL ,  West , East Coast and Euro.     Randomly , the AP's like to join and or if reboot go elsewhere rather than the region ( HA has been set for prim / seco ) they are configured for.     

For instance , I had a 3700 going to West Coast and changed the HA  for East as Pri and West as Sec  and it lands in Euro.  

Thoughts and thanks all!

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It all depends on how you configured your primary and secondary and your DHCP options also.

so share more information how it was configured ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Grendizer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It’s impossible to give you the correct answer without logs, either you can collect the logs by yourself or by opening a TAC case and the TAC engineer will help you collecting those logs.

If you want to collect those logs by yourself then do the following from the 9800:

#debug platform condition feature wireless mac <AP-radio-mac-address>

#debug platform condition feature wireless mac <AP-ethernet-mac-address>

#debug platform condition start

Reproduce the behavior that you want to monitor and after that stop the debugs and build the log files as below:

#debug platform condition stop

#show logging profile wireless filter mac <AP-radio-mac-address> to-file filename1.txt

#show logging profile wireless filter mac <AP-ethernet-mac-address> to-file filename2.txt

By default, those files will be saved in bootflash: directory so you can get them by:

BY the GUI:

From Administration > Management > File Manager > bootflash:

or by cli:

#copy bootflash:filename1.txt tftp://x.x.x.x/filename1.txt

chadrife1
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry all for the long long delay. A co Worker of mine finally piped up and stated it's based on the capitalization of the hostname in the HA input area.   Either Uppercase or lowercase.   I'm still boggled of why this is however we moved an AP and used lowercase for the hostname in HA filed and it sure did stick where it was suppose to be.   I cannot find any documentation to support this but it's Cisco

The WLC name configured in the Primary, Secondary, Tertiary HA fields for the AP must *exactly* match the name configured on the WLC.  So yes if WLC name is all lower case then the same must be configured in the AP HA settings.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card