cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9800 WLC Support for PSU and fan state SNMP OID (1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.13)

leandropavon
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Has anyone had experience with this bug? CSCwa23598  

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCwa23598

I see that there are many customers who use an SNMP tool to monitor all the IT of their company in a transversal way, and not being able to monitor power supplies and fans of the WIFI controllers seems very serious.

I understand that with DNA Center, telemetry can be used to access this equipment information, but DNA is not a transversal solution to monitor non-Cisco equipment, and in any case there are important clients that have already invested in a standard-based solution SNMP.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Your options are limited.  As I've explained in previous posts Cisco is now concentrating on streaming telemetry and SNMP is low priority for them.  That enhancement defect might get fixed in a later release but don't count on it.

Nobody forces you to use DNAC for telemetry.  You can use other products or even your own open-source based solution.

Otherwise you must look at other simple options:

You can still use SNMP traps or syslogs instead of polling the MIB. 

If there isn't a specific trap for those (I haven't checked) then you can use an EEM script to generate an SNMP trap from the logs and then your NMS can act on the trap.  Obviously you'll need a custom trap definition for that to match your own generated trap.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Your options are limited.  As I've explained in previous posts Cisco is now concentrating on streaming telemetry and SNMP is low priority for them.  That enhancement defect might get fixed in a later release but don't count on it.

Nobody forces you to use DNAC for telemetry.  You can use other products or even your own open-source based solution.

Otherwise you must look at other simple options:

You can still use SNMP traps or syslogs instead of polling the MIB. 

If there isn't a specific trap for those (I haven't checked) then you can use an EEM script to generate an SNMP trap from the logs and then your NMS can act on the trap.  Obviously you'll need a custom trap definition for that to match your own generated trap.

leandropavon
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks a lot @Rich R 

Your proposal is a good workaround.

I think I will try this option.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card