Views
Helpful
Replies

9800L Clients on MAC whitelist can't connect to guest wifi

MauryJ
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

We've been using a 9800L controller for a couple of years now and we have several WIFI networks working well off of it.   For an internal network where we use a combination of MAC filtering for device auth, and 802.1x user auth.   We also have a guest wireless network that uses Web Auth.

On occasion there is a need for a user who is setup to use our internal network, to use the guest network.   We've found that these clients are not able to connect to our guest WIFI network unless we remove their MAC address from our MAC address list (under Security / AAA / AAA Advanced / Device Authentication).   Does anyone know why this is the case?

Our 9800L (physical controller) is on IOS 17.09.04a

Thanks

Edit:  I may have answered my own question, in our MAC entries we specify the WLAN profile and attribute list name for our internal network, and I'm assuming that locks the client to that network.   Does that explain it?

1 Reply 1

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

Check whether you are using the Allowlist in the corporate WLAN profile as well or not.

Remember that to allow a MAC to only connect to a MAC filtered WLAN, you need to create a username with the MAC of the device and associate it to a list, and them apply that list on the WLAN profile"mac-filtering" option.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card