Views
Helpful
Replies

Acces point

faouzi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, i have question 
Is it necessary to restart the access point or not?
thank you

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

@faouzi wrote:

i'm over 60 AP 
it is not possible to power down them 1 to 1

Sez who?  I regularly kill the power of the APs by going to the switches and turning off PoE.  

Some switches have several APs.  

60 APs is nothing.  I have several thousands.

View solution in original post

There's no right or wrong answer. 

It depends on the AP hardware, what software you're running and how the APs are used.

Basically if you're running hardware and/or software affected by known bugs which might be triggered by certain traffic levels or uptime then it might be necessary to reload the APs regularly until you can get the bugs fixed.

If your APs keep working fine with long uptime then there is no need to reload them.

On the other hand reloading them will clear any problems that may have crept in but remember every time you reload the APs there is a small chance 1 or 2 might not recover so be prepared for occasional failures.

I do not like leaving Cisco kit with a very high uptime (>180 days uptime).

With IOS-XE appliances, such as 3650/3850, Catalyst 9k, it is getting more and more important to reboot the switches at least once every 6 months.  

10 Replies 10

1. It's not Windows 3.11, you don't have to restart them frequently.
  2. With that uptime you likely missed some important security-updates.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, I would.  

thank you for your answer, but you still have to restart them or it has no interest it's useless

Do not use the "reboot" command -- Instead, power down the AP for 5 seconds and power them up.  

faouzi
Level 1
Level 1

i'm over 60 AP 
my question is it useful to do it every now and then or is it pointless

thanks for answer

@faouzi wrote:

i'm over 60 AP 

Sez who?  I regularly kill the power of the APs by going to the switches and turning off PoE.  

Some switches have several APs.  

60 APs is nothing.  I have several thousands.

faouzi
Level 1
Level 1

ok i will do it from the switch thank you

last question do you restart them every now and then are the APs more efficient or not at all?
is it useful or not?

There's no right or wrong answer. 

It depends on the AP hardware, what software you're running and how the APs are used.

Basically if you're running hardware and/or software affected by known bugs which might be triggered by certain traffic levels or uptime then it might be necessary to reload the APs regularly until you can get the bugs fixed.

If your APs keep working fine with long uptime then there is no need to reload them.

On the other hand reloading them will clear any problems that may have crept in but remember every time you reload the APs there is a small chance 1 or 2 might not recover so be prepared for occasional failures.

I do not like leaving Cisco kit with a very high uptime (>180 days uptime).

With IOS-XE appliances, such as 3650/3850, Catalyst 9k, it is getting more and more important to reboot the switches at least once every 6 months.  

faouzi
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you everyone for your answers

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card