Views
Helpful
Replies

Access point single VLAN

RomanB1005
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

I would like to ask about vlan configuration on access point Airone1242.

Is mandatory connect it into trunk port on the switch ? , i will use only one Vlan through one SSID exept of native vlan.

I m going to connect it into access port on switch , which is member vlan 63 , and through web menu add attach vlan63 to ssid..

Is there some mandatory settings which can unfavorably influnece network ?

Thanks in Advance

edit : \\ Nobody ?       

4 Replies 4

Erwin Salazar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Roman,

Assuming you are talking about a 1242 AP that is in Autonomous/Standalone mode, it is not mandatory to have the switchport set to trunk mode.  You can simply make it an access port on VLAN 63.  Just don't tag any VLAN id on the AP WLAN configuration and clients will be put on VLAN 63.

Cheers, Erwin ______________________________________ How helpful was I? Don't forget to rate me when you have the chance!

Hi Erwin

Thanks for your answer , just one question

"Just don't tag any VLAN id on the AP WLAN configuration and clients will be put on VLAN 63."

This snentence means , that i shouldn't  assign vlan to the ssid  ?

Thanks in Advance ..

Roman

Roman,

Making a switch port an access port on vlan 63 will not tag vlan id 63. So basically what was mentioned on the other post is that is you assign the switchport as access port vlan 63, the ap management and users will be placed in vlan 63. If you want to separate the traffic or really have more than one vlan, you have to configure the port as a trunk and the ap manager has to be in the native vlan (untagged) and the data traffic will be placed on the other vlan you specify on the AP which would be tagged.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

Correct me if im wrong here. What you are saying is even if we dont configure vlan under the ssid but have switch port as vlan 63 by default the wireless client will be based in VLAN 63 ...Is that right?

For example i have a AP configured as below.

dot11 ssid 8008

authentication open

Since there is no vlan associated with this SSID 8008 my understanding was that this will be placed on vlan 1. Now this is connected to a switch port which has configuration as below.

int fas 1/0

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 63

So the question is in this case do we not have a VLAN mismatch (AP on vlan 1 and Switch port on vlan 63) here?

Regards

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card