Views
Helpful
Replies

Access point to HQ via controller

BigK
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am looking for a wireless solution to support remote user in a branch to access the internet and also be able to access HQ network via VPN tunnels. preferably access point to HQ via controller

Any recommendation will be helpful 

Thanks

Karim

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Below are the design guides;

Understand FlexConnect on Catalyst 9800 Wireless Controller - Cisco

FlexConnect Wireless Branch Controller Deployment Guide - Cisco

Hardware wise you simply need AP's which supports FlexConnect (almost all the enterprise wireless AP's sold by Cisco supports flex connect) and WLC's. WLC's will be hosted in both DC's and then depending on your upstream device routing (In your case VPN edge device) you can have AP's register to any DC, if you are advertising both DC's as HUB's then you should be able to have N+1 redundancy.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Hi

The solution I´d be looking would be the Access Point in Flexconnect.  This can solve the first part of your solution which is to have an Access Point remotely but being managed but you WLC on the Data Center.

The Access Point in Flexconnect mode will send all traffic to local network, which is not what you want exactly, but, with the VPN in place you can fix that using split tunnel. Assuming, of course, that the client is able to stablish VPN from the Remote branch.

Once they stablishes VPN and have Split Tunnel you can control which traffic will be send to HQ and which site will be send to the Local internet.

Thanks Flavio,

What are the hardware requirement ?

Karim

Access points dont have big discrepancy between models in terms of hardware. It will depend on the wlc you have today or intend to buy . 

You need to worry more about compatibility.  

Let me know which wlc you have or intend to have that I recommend you an AP model. 

But , if you wish indication for wlc too, 9800 is a good option. 

Thanks for the info. Can 9800 controller be at the data centers and create secure tunnel to the branch APs?

that´s correct. The WLC remains in the Data Center and stablish a capwap tunnel with the AP. All it needs is connectivity.

You can informe the WLC IP to the AP on the DHCP option. You can also manually inform the WLC ip or use DNS resolution by adding "Cisco-capwap-controller.local_domain" to you internal DNS.

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Design can vary on how the HQ to Branch connectivity will be;

1. MPLS or any private circuit connectivity -

You can deploy AP's in Flexconnect mode, Upstream edge will do the routing and local internet breakout for branch internet connection. 

2. VPN connectivity from branch edge to HQ - Same as point 1, upstream L3 device will do the routing.

3. Internet only branches - Consider OEAP, AP will connect via a secure tunnel directly to the HQ.

4. SD-Access - If you have SD-Access capable devices/licenses and DNAC then consider Fabric in a box.

I want config mangerment ap via internet. But i don't know how to configure. Please help me !!!!

BigK
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Arshad, 

The design will be Internet only branches with secure tunnel directly to the HQ.. what are the hardware requirement for this connectivity. 

I have 2 data centers one in east coast and the other in the west coast for redundancy purposes. 

Any design examples or links are helpful. 

Thanks

Karim

Below are the design guides;

Understand FlexConnect on Catalyst 9800 Wireless Controller - Cisco

FlexConnect Wireless Branch Controller Deployment Guide - Cisco

Hardware wise you simply need AP's which supports FlexConnect (almost all the enterprise wireless AP's sold by Cisco supports flex connect) and WLC's. WLC's will be hosted in both DC's and then depending on your upstream device routing (In your case VPN edge device) you can have AP's register to any DC, if you are advertising both DC's as HUB's then you should be able to have N+1 redundancy.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card