Views
Helpful
Replies

change huge amount of AP names

naorelkayam
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have around 500 access point managed by NCS with their original names (APmacaddress).

I have them all configured in our IPAM system and have DNS names.

I want to change all the AP names to the DNS ones... Is there a easier way to do so?

Thanks!!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'd do it as a CLI template myself.  Export the AP names and then push the change down

config ap name < new name > < old name>

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Use Excel and create a script to concatinate your list of OLD APs to the NEW APs.

Now, will the names will be changed in Prime Infrastructure automatically or will they be duplicated with the new names?

WCS/CPI will monitor the MAC address of the AP so there's no "double entry".  When you change the name of the AP, CPI will possibly take around 5 minutes to reflect the changes.

15 Replies 15

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'd do it as a CLI template myself.  Export the AP names and then push the change down

config ap name < new name > < old name>

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

I am actually New to using CLI templates on Cisco Prime, Can you suggest me how to do it using Cisco Prime 3.7.X it looks confusing.

Thank You

I would just use an excel file to generate the commands and paste that to the cli.  No need for Prime to mass populate ap names.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I am running into an issue where I am Copy&pasting from excel to controller CLI extra spaces are inserted between the words, when I issue config ap name <new name> <old name> that prompts CLI to reject my renaming command

Can you provide the excel file so we can review it.

-Scott

Have you tried copying it from excel to a text editor then to the device cli?

-Scott

Actually I just figured it out, I was not using " " between columns while using the concatenate function.

when I did those changes =(CONCAT(A1," ",B1," ",C1)) and pasted the contents from it to CLI the spaces came out even and it got executed perfectly, Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.

Cool... the way I do it is with the " " between the cells, however, you can also add a trailing whitespace at the end of the cell, but if others don't know, the commands will not take.

-Scott

I find the CONCAT function unnecessarily cumbersome.  You can just do a simple formula ="config ap name " & A1 & " " & B1

Gotta love the consistency here... 

Looks like it's currently      ap name <current name> name <new name>.

Looking at automating it in Python myself, but see each IOS version the format of the "show ap summary" changes, so it's difficult to do.  Used to be the "ap status" was the last field; now the location field has moved to the end, so gotta parse it by "first field after an IP address...".

(Create a table of MAC to name before mounting.  Python loads that table, and periodically lists all AP's.  If the name is "non-standard", ie. starts with "AP" it's new.  If it IS registered and not downloading, then look up the mac address in the table, and set the name...    Rinse and repeat every 10 minutes or so while AP's being set up...)

I think it really comes down to your workflow. Adding new AP’s vs renaming existing AP’s vs both. Also depends if you inventory and or stage the access points first. My workflow was always inventory, gather the AP’s information, label and put asset tag. Then the ap would get connected to a switch and join a separate controller where I can determine any AP’s that need to be RMA’d, looked at or has successfully joined. So I either pull the MAC address when the AP’s were being inventoried or from the controller once the ap has joined. Typically the first method. Then the scrip would continued to run until I stopped it. Doesn’t matter if the AP has been renamed or not at this time. Now if it’s reading AP’s, then you have another method so you can validate what is there, stage the new AP’s and then adding them to the controller using HA. Once all the AP’s have moved, you validate the count of AP’s and the uptime and join time to make sure none are bouncing.
Many ways to accomplish this and yes, the method will change if the output/process changes. Everyone will stage or just throw up AP’s and do what they have to do. My issue with that is if it’s remote. Then you spend time to have a tech on-site, possible need to RMA the AP’s or factory reset. I prefer not having the downtime after the install. There are time in which I was not able to do that for remote locations in other countries but that was added to the risk and change window.
-Scott

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Use Excel and create a script to concatinate your list of OLD APs to the NEW APs.

naorelkayam
Level 1
Level 1

OK thanks! This will probably be the best way to do it...

Now, will the names will be changed in Prime Infrastructure automatically or will they be duplicated with the new names?

Again, thanks for the quick reply!!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

WCS/CPI will monitor the MAC address of the AP so there's no "double entry".  When you change the name of the AP, CPI will possibly take around 5 minutes to reflect the changes.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card