cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACCESS POINTS INSTALLATION AND PRECAUTIONARY METHODS WHEN HANDLING AP UNITS

cccjcmo
Level 1
Level 1

My first AP installation was about 6-10 years ago. At that time the instructions with the Cisco AP was not to handle the AP unit if it was powered up. To remedy this we install everything first and plug the AP unit into the powered switch very last so no danger exist with the wireless radio waves etc. Does this still hold true today? If not then when and why did the warning go away?

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@cccjcmo wrote:

Does this still hold true today? If not then when and why did the warning go away?

This is an old-wives-tale.  There is more radiation from mobile phones than from an AP.

Leo

You may be right!

However, That would not explain why Cisco had the warning in their installation instructions for the AP.

Are you saying then that Cisco printed misleading instructions?

@cccjcmo wrote:
Are you saying then that Cisco printed misleading instructions?

1. There are many ways in (mis)interpret legalities.  I'm don't work for "legal" but I'd understand why T&C is there than NOT to have any T&C in there.  

2.  How many people would actually have the APs in their pockets?  Most of the APs are sitting away from user(s).  

Agree!

However, If Cisco advised not to handle the AP when it was energized then I would take that to heart. What if I had to replace all of the AP units and handled them in a way that exposed myself to the radiation etc. If I had to replace 10, 20 or even 50 then I would be exposing myself to harmful radiation in a way that they specifically advised not to do. Not going to happen every day but I once again had this brought to my attention and would like to know if Cisco still advises not to handle the device if it is powered up. No one would have in their shirt pocket so to speak but installing 10,20, 50 or whatever might be harmful to one's health. Having been a cancer survivor I would want to advise anyone and everyone that they are taking chances by ignoring the warning from Cisco. My big question still is----- DO THEY STILL RECOMMEND NOT TO HANDLE THE AP WHEN IT IS POWERED UP???? As I said maybe this is no longer valid with Cisco. If that is the case then when did that change and what happened to change the warning. I am just wondering what that status is at this time.

Thanks for your help

Ok, ok, ok ... When you attach the cable to the AP and the AP powers up, what Tx power does the AP produce? Zero, right?
The AP would take, approximately, 3 minutes to power up (longer with the newer Linux-based models). So what's wrong with plugging the AP to power, climb down the ladder?

People can "play safe" and power down the PoE and attach/cable up the AP and apply the power later.  I don't believe it's going to make any difference.  

I think they do that for liability. I bet everyone on this forum has touched an AP when powered up. Would be the same for a phone that is being used as a hotspot.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I agree with all of your comments. However, it is not a perfect world and everyone has handled them at 1 time or another. Have you ever seen the warning that I did telling the installer not to handle the AP unit if it's powered??? I really would like to know why they issued the warning, do they still suggest the same warning today. I am well aware of liability issues but I have been in the data technology field for 45 years. I always ask questions why they do things the way that they do. I never take anything for granted as that will always get you in trouble. Too many of my tech friends are unaware of any potential health risks with the AP units. They handle them every day way to much to take this warning lightly.

If you want "to err on the side of caution", then anyone legal will say "do not touch" the AP if it's powered (at any state).

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

My guess about this is, the AP is under electrical current (48 V) and the case is made of metal. So you might get an electrical shock. That's probably the reason why you shouldn't handle it, while it's powered up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_injury

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card