cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Add access point on differnet subnet

dhoobler
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco 2500 controller.  I have five Cisco 1600 series wireless access points.  The access points an the same subnet as the controller are recognized by the controller.

I would like to add an access point that is on another subnet.  The AP has an IP address, but since it is on a separate subnet, the controller can not see the MAC address of the AP.

Is there a way to make the controller aware of the AP by giving the controller the IP address of the AP?

2 Replies 2

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, you can use DHCP option 43 to give the AP the managemnet IP address of the WLC.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00808714fe.shtml

Alternately you could use an ip helper under the L3 and point to the WLC management interface.  With this you also need to configure ip forward-protocol 5246

I'd go with option 43 myself, as it scales better.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just to add...

If the AP's have already joined the WLC, then you can put them in any subnet you want as the AP's know of the WLC already.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card