Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding new SSID with new VLAN

Gonzo1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I've been asked to add 2 new SSIDs and tie them to 1 new VLAN. I see I will need to add this to the trunk ports to the various switches we have leading to the WLC.

How ever what do I do on this screen?

WLCinterfaces.PNG

The WLC connects to a Cisco Nexus switch which have the above VLANs and SVIs (IP addresses on the VLANs).

Basically we have another company joining us that want their own SSID and to route it to there switches that trunk to our Nexus's and use BGP routing to push the traffic to their HQ.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

There are two options available to configure this setup. On is Flex-connect and Local mode.

Please find the traffic flow of the same.

On Flex-connect Traffic Flow: (VLAN has to be allowed AP connected switch port)

Authentication Traffic : Endpoint --> AP--> WLC--> Radius Server

Data Traffic : Endpoint --> AP-->AP Connected Switch port--> Internet

Switch Port configuration would be:

Switch port mode trunk

Switch port Native VLAN <AP VLAN>

Switch Port Trunk allowed VLAN <AP VLAN > <Client VLAN>

On Local SSID Traffic Flow: (VLAN has to be allowed on the WLC switch port)

Authentication Traffic : Endpoint --> AP--> WLC--> Radius Server

Data Traffic : Endpoint --> AP-->WLC -->Internet

Refer : Flexconnect Design

Regards,
Sathiyanarayanan Ravindran

Please rate the post and accept as solution, if my response satisfied your question:)

pieterh
VIP
VIP

in this screen you create a virtual interface for a wlan and specify parameters like vlan, address and subnet used
somewhere in the top-right you see the button to add a new interface. 
this vlan connect via the trunk to the nexus

you can use the same virtual interface for multiple WLANs/SSIDs

if this button is not present your account has insufficient privileges to create new interfaces

Hello,

I do have that button to add a new interface.  Oh and we use APs FlexConnect mode.

So for example would I create a new SSID called "Cisco" give it a VLAN tag of say 99 then go to the interfaces and add a new interface for VLAN99 and add to my various trunks.  On the Nexus I guess I will need a new subnet range (SVI) and give the WLC interface an IP in this range?

I've added new SSIDs to our current setup using the existing VLANs and Interfaces, but they want a new SSID and VLAN used.

Thanks

Map any dummy interface to the SSID, In the SSID go to advance and enable the FlexConnect Local Switching.

If the client and AP VLAN is different:

Go to the AP group and MAP the exact interface of the client.

Go to the AP enable flexconnect and go to the flexconnect tab enable native vlan option and enter the VLAN of the AP.

If client and AP VLAN is same:

Go to the AP group and MAP the Interface as Management

Go to the AP, then enable flexconnect. 

Regards,
Sathiyanarayanan Ravindran

Please rate the post and accept as solution, if my response satisfied your question:)
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card