Views
Helpful
Replies

Advisable Power Allocation for 1602i Cisco Access Points

rgmamaril
Level 1
Level 1

Good day everyone,

I would like to ask and verify what will be the advisable power allocation for 1602 flex connect access points since I encounter trouble after upgrading the Cisco 5508  WLC IOS from 7.6.100.0 to 8.0.121.0. Before the upgrade all 1602 flex connect access points is properly working and terminated in HP 2530 Switch with AUTO (17 watts) power allocation, then when we upgrade the said controller we notice that the access points are in "Lower Power" status. I would like to clarify, does the 1602 access points requires more power when many clients is connected or 8.0.121.0 IOS needs more power for flex connect access points?. I'm just confuse why the radio on flex connect access points are disabled.

We manually configured the power on HP 2530 switch with 20 watts and all flex connect access points is now up.

thank you.

best regards.

4 Replies 4

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As far as I am aware they don't need more than 15.4W of PoE power.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-1600-series/data_sheet_c78-715702.html

Power Draw

AP1600: 12.95 W

Note: When deployed using PoE, the power drawn from the power sourcing equipment will be higher by some amount dependent on the length of the interconnecting cable. This additional power may be as high as 2.45W, bringing the total system power draw (access point + cabling) to 15.4W.

I would first check the transmit power threshold you have configured on the controllers, using the 2 commands shown here, there is a good possibility that because of the distance between the AP (especially with out knowing if there is anything between the AP's) that they are seeing each other so strong that they have to turn the power way down as a result. This could be tweaked some using the Tx-power-threshold settting. This is common and proper behavior.  See the commands below and some sample output.

show advanced 802.11a txpower

Automatic Transmit Power Assignment
  Transmit Power Assignment Mode................. AUTO
  Transmit Power Update Interval................. 600 seconds
  Transmit Power Threshold....................... -70 dBm
  Transmit Power Neighbor Count.................. 3 APs
  Min Transmit Power............................. -100 dBm
  Max Transmit Power............................. 100 dBm
  Transmit Power Update Contribution............. SNI..
  Transmit Power Assignment Leader............... wlc-2 (x.x.x.x)

show advanced 802.11b txpower

Automatic Transmit Power Assignment
  Transmit Power Assignment Mode................. AUTO
  Transmit Power Update Interval................. 600 seconds
  Transmit Power Threshold....................... -70 dBm
  Transmit Power Neighbor Count.................. 3 APs
  Min Transmit Power............................. -100 dBm
  Max Transmit Power............................. 100 dBm
  Transmit Power Update Contribution............. SNI..
  Transmit Power Assignment Leader............... wlc-2 (x.x.x.x)

default now is -70dbm which means that the ap's will turn down their power until their neighbors hear them at a -70 signal.. You may need to change this to -65dbm but be aware that this could cause more co-channel interference depending on where the next ap on the same channel is, this setting is also global.  The other option you have in the newer code is the set a minimum and maximum that the RRM system will allow, here you see they are set at -100 & 100 respectively. You could try setting the minimum to say 12.5 dbm which is like power level 1 or 3 depending on the radio, band, channel, modulation, etc.

Lastly keep in mind that it could also be a client side power issue, since the communication to the AP has to be a two-way communication; which means if your client has a maximum transmit power of say 25mw or 14dbm, then having the AP push out 50mw or 17dbm of signal is useless since in many cases the AP can reach the client device but the client device won't be able to talk back

jkilleda
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Rey John,

Advisable Power Allocation for 1602i Cisco Access Points
It depends on the channel you select the Tx power is different.

http://www.my80211.com/cisco-wlc-labs/2009/10/30/what-you-need-to-know-about-tx-power-and-80211a-5ghz-on-a-ci.html

The power for flex connect access points

1242AP:  12.95W maximum

1600 AP: 12.95 W

But still I recomamnd to use  1600 AP power options:

802.3af Ethernet Switch
Cisco AP1600 Power Injectors (AIR-PWRINJ4=, AIR-PWRINJ5=)
Cisco AP1600 Local Power Supply (AIR-PWR-B=)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card