Views
Helpful
Replies

Air-AP-1832i-e-K9 8.6 firmware to get on an existing controller

smorinval
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We just bought a new AP (so an Air-AP-1832i) to add on our network (composed by 5 Air-Ap-1832i).

At this point, the new AP is on the 8.5.140 FW, and the current network is in 8.6.101.1 FW.

For production reasons, we wish to stay on the 8.6.101.0 on the network, but we can't find the 8.6.101.0 FW (deprecated on Cisco's website). I am aware that this FW is deferred and should not be used anymore, but we need to have the network working 24/7, so updating the soft on the running network is touchy

Our usual provider does not want to send us the FW, they want to classify this as a major change (just to send a bill at the end)...

Would anyone have a zip or a tar of this version 8.6.101.0 to send me?

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich R
VIP
VIP

@smorinval it would be a breach of Cisco licensing conditions for anyone here to share Cisco software with you (so you should not be asking us to) but unlikely anyone would have that release anyway.  It must be supplied by your Cisco partner/reseller or Cisco themselves.  The partner/reseller is rightly saying no because that release is deferred/EOL.  I'm afraid you're on your own here.

You should always keep a local backup copy of the software you're using but that software is REALLY old and out of date so I'd highly recommend planning to get yourself onto supported up to date software as per TAC recommended in link below.  Every network must have maintenance so plan it and do it.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rich R
VIP
VIP

@smorinval it would be a breach of Cisco licensing conditions for anyone here to share Cisco software with you (so you should not be asking us to) but unlikely anyone would have that release anyway.  It must be supplied by your Cisco partner/reseller or Cisco themselves.  The partner/reseller is rightly saying no because that release is deferred/EOL.  I'm afraid you're on your own here.

You should always keep a local backup copy of the software you're using but that software is REALLY old and out of date so I'd highly recommend planning to get yourself onto supported up to date software as per TAC recommended in link below.  Every network must have maintenance so plan it and do it.

Hi Rich,

Thank you for your answer.

I tried it because this version is old and deferred, but I totally understand that it would be better to upgrade it.

We will check with our usual provider what are the impacts of this upgrade.

smorinval
Level 1
Level 1

I just have a last question, this time about firmware upgrade (I think I won't have much other choices).

Is there any risk to know before performing this upgrade, like a risk of losing config, or features existing in the 8.6.101.0 which would be disabled on newer firmwares?

Since we need to have a 24/7 operational network (and the IT service is not running on 24/7), we try being careful.

Thank you

Rich R
VIP
VIP

I'm not aware of anything but you should read through the release notes carefully in case there's anything specific that might apply uniquely to your setup. As you're going from 8.6 to 8.10 also check the intermediate release notes (8.7, 8.8, 8.9) just in case they mention anything relevant but most important will be the 8.10 release notes.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/mob_exp/810/release_notes/b_ME_RN_810.html

In general it's best to try it on a test setup first but if you can't you just have to plan for fixing forward if you encounter problems when you upgrade.  You might want to get TAC support in case you get stuck.  Plan the upgrade carefully with someone who is familiar/experienced with the product.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card