Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-AP1852E-E-K9, backup- image

George Hill
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

we have some APs AIR-AP1852E-E-K9, they have the firmware 8.2.141.0.

The last AP we got, had the firmware -version 8.4.100.0. i have downgraded

to 8.2.141.0, so that AP joined to the primary Controller.

The backup image is now 8.4.100.0.

cisco AIR-AP1852E-E-K9 ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l) with 966404/639236K bytes of memory. Processor board ID KWC213001DA AP Running Image : 8.2.141.0 Primary Boot Image : 8.2.141.0 Backup Boot Image : 8.4.100.0 AP Image type : MOBILITY EXPRESS IMAGE AP Configuration : MOBILITY EXPRESS CAPABLE 2 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces

How can i switch to the backup- image to use the newer firmware ?

Is it possible to download the backup- image to a tftp- Server ?

Thanks, George

8 Replies 8

Hi

If you have wlc then you have to use the wlc firmware version. If you want a newer version just upgrade the wlc.

I believe is possible to download the firmware version. Try to use copy flash:firmware version tftp

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Why do you want to do this?
It's not needed for normal operation to change the backup image.

Today we don't have a service contract, it is not possible to download any firmware from Cisco.

If we would have a AP with firmware 8.4.100.0 i would try to transfer the image to a tftp. Server, so we could upgrade all APs with this firmware.

I downgraded the AP to 8.2.141.0, so the firmware is onlay in the backup- image.

We don'T have another AP with newer firmware release.

George

Since this is Mobility Express, if you want to upgrade, why not promote that one AP as the master and then swap the image. I would think that is way, all the other AP’s would then download that image and perform an upgrade. 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

biaacer2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

From the WLC, issue the following command:

(WLC) >config ap image swap <AP_NAME>

Upon next reboot, the AP will use its backup image. However, it will switch it back if it finds a suitable controller running different code. 

biaacer2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
From the WLC, issue the following command:

Upon next reboot, the AP will use its backup image. However, it will switch it back if it finds a suitable controller running different code.

That was the way to switch the image:

Thanks.

I Switched the AP to Mobility Express and now i can reach the webinterface.

Now I would like to upload the firmware to an tftp- Server, so i can use the file for upgrading other aps.

Tomorrow i will try "copy flash:firmware version tftp".

Is there an other way to upload the image with a transfer-command ?

@scott: We have about 15 APs, one primary, secondary and tertiary controller. This is a production enviroment, so i want to feel certain, that everything works. So i want to test in my office with reserve APs. Then I will put the image on a tftp Server and upgrade through the Webinterface of the Controller.

By the way, is the upgrade of all APs an safe transaction or is that risky job ?

George

Tomorrow i will try "copy flash:firmware version tftp".

Is there an other way to upload the image with a transfer-command ?

A. no, you cannot transfer this code to a TFTP server, it does not work the same way as IOS.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card