Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-BLE-USB Module on 3800 Aironet Access Point

Jonas2020
Level 1
Level 1

Hello community,

At this time I want to share with you a concern about the BLE USB external module in Aironet 3800 AP. This concern is about two things.

• I have serveral APs 4800 and these have a BLE native radio, I can use this radio to listen BLE devices and export to Prime and CMX, even use some CLI commands like "show controllers BLE"  (Like the below image 1), but I could not find the similar commands for the USB module on the 3800 access point. Because when I try to run the same commands I obtain the answer that the command is not support on my platform (Image 2 below).

Screenshot_3.jpg

Screenshot_4.jpg

• The second thing is, when in an AP 4800 I run the command "show controllers blERadio 0 scan brief" I can see a list about the different BLE devices that this APs can hear, but I have noticed that this list maybe can be restrict in the number of entrys, because I have about 50 BLE active devices and in the list I can see about 20 or 25 and after a period the list renews and often shows the same devices and in other times shows the other BLE devices that could not shows in the past list.

I am using the WLC 3504 8.8.12.5 and I tried with the 8.9.111.0, My AP is an 3802E with PoE+ via Catalyst 9300 and other thest with Catalyst 2960 and the power injector - AIR-PWRINJ6=.

When I mentioned the APs 4800 the configurarion was a WLC 3504 8.8.125.0 and Catalyst 9300 for the AP.

To finish this post, and my concret concerns are.

1. Are there some commands specifics for the USB BLE module that I can use as same as 4800 APs to obtain the same results?
  2. Is there any limitation for the table of scan BLE devices in the AP 3800 with thew USB BLE Module or in the 4800 AP?

I really apreciate your help and time to read this post, and I hope somebody can help me.

By the way, I read the next articules and I can not find anything releated about my questions.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/mse/Cisco_BLE_USB_Dongle/HIG/b_cisco_USB_BLE_Beacon.html

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-8/b_ap_4800_hyperlocation_deployment_guide.pdf

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-6/config-guide/b_cg86/location_services.html

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@Jonas2020 wrote:
do you found or consult any document that you can share with me where said this information

This is an "undocumented" process only your Cisco AM/SE knows about.  

That is all I can say without getting myself in trouble.  

NOTE:  If your Cisco AM/SE is unsure, tell them to send me a PM and I will point them to the correct person.  

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Wait ... You mention PI and CMX. Is that all?
Do you have DNA Places or CMX Cloud account?

Hello Leo Laohoo,

Thanks for your answer, and about the question muy answer is yes, I only have PI 3.7 and CMX 10.6.2-57, the DNA spaces or the Token to the Cloud Apps on CMX to Cisco Beacon Managment is something that I don not have, but even without Beacon Manager I can see BLE devices in the Aironet 4800 using the command "show controller BLEradio 0 scan brief" and in the CMX floor, but I can not do this or something similar with the USB BLE Module on the Aironet 3800.

Thanks again for spend your time reading and answering this post.

Without DNA Spaces or Cloud CMX, the BLE is disabled.
Contact your Cisco AM/SE so they can set up a Cloud CMX account for you.

Hello Leo Laohoo,

Thanks for the answer, and I understand so we need to obtain an account for Cloud CMX, sorry and only like a documentation process for my team, do you found or consult any document that you can share with me where said this information? However, I know that what you say is correct.

Thanks again.

Regards.

@Jonas2020 wrote:
do you found or consult any document that you can share with me where said this information

This is an "undocumented" process only your Cisco AM/SE knows about.  

That is all I can say without getting myself in trouble.  

NOTE:  If your Cisco AM/SE is unsure, tell them to send me a PM and I will point them to the correct person.  

Thank you again Leo, and thank you so much for all your help.

Regards.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card