Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-CAP3502I-A-K9 configuration reset to factory default

AndreyPokorskiy
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Gentlemen,

I got the the old AP AIR-CAP3502I-A-K9 (with old configuration)

I need to reset it to the default (factory) config

But, I couldn't find the manual how to do it using cli or GUI

The closest article (link below):

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11297076/resetting-air-cap3502i-k9

I tried to push and keep "MODE" button (almost 1 hour but it didn't helps me too much (except my finger been demolished)

It is booting in normal process

No errors

Just need to clear old config

Please advise how to reset it?

Best regards,

Andrey P.

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The AP can be lightweight so you will not get enable mode. Are you trying to co figure the AP as autonomous or factory reset it to join a controller?  If it's a lightweight AP, then you need to convert it  there are many links and videos on how to convert lightweight to autonomous.

You can see the image if you console into the AP and boot it. Holding the mode down for 10 seconds is how you factory reset the AP. Holding it for 30 seconds puts the AP in ROMMON mode. 

-Scott 

*** Please rate helpful posts *** 

-Scott

Hello Scott!
This AP should be reset to factory and join to WLC

I have access to the console of AP. I'm looking for the cli commands to clear config in command line. To clear config by MODE button should it be powered off or just push and keep for 10 sec in normal power on?

Thank you!

There is no cli command.  You need to delete the config and the private config from flash, or else power off the AP, hold the mode button and then power the AP up.  Hold the button then for 10 seconds and release. That will factory default your AP.

-Scott 

-Scott

Hi Scott,

I want to use this on my home wifi network. I don't have the password to access the AIR-CAP  How do you delete the password and what is the default?

Do I need special software for this? I work on a MAC?

Thanks

You need a usb to serial adapter. Also, search on google, Cisco AP lightweight to autonomous. You will find a lot of information on how to perform this.

The issue you will have is getting the file. If you don’t have support, you will not be able to download the image you need and this will not be able to convert the AP.
-Scott

You can convert an access point from lightweight mode back to autonomous mode by loading a Cisco IOS Release that supports autonomous mode (Cisco IOS release 12.3(7)JA or earlier). If the access point is associated to a controller, you can use the controller to load the Cisco IOS release. If the access point is not associated to a controller, you can load the Cisco IOS release using TFTP.

Follow these steps to revert from LWAPP mode to autonomous mode by loading a Cisco IOS release using a TFTP server:
Step 2 <> Make sure that the PC contains the access point image file (such as c1200-k9w7-tar.122-15.JA.tar for a 1200 series access point) in the TFTP server folder and that the TFTP server is activated.
Step 3 <> Set the timeout value on the TFTP server to 30 seconds.
Step 4 <> On the PC where the TFTP server is located, perform these steps:
a. <> Disable any software firewall products, such as Windows firewall, ZoneAlarm firewall, McAffee firewall, or others.
b. <> Ensure all Windows files are visible. From Windows Explorer, click Tools > Folder Options > View; then uncheck the Hide extensions for known file types check box.
Step 5 <> Rename the access point image file in the TFTP server folder to c1200-k9w7-tar.default for a 1200 series access point, c1130-k9w7-tar.default for an 1130 series access point, c1240-k9w7-tar.default for a 1240 series access point, and c1250-k9w7-tar.default for a 1250 series access point.
Step 6 <> Connect the PC to the access point using a Category 5 (CAT5) Ethernet cable.
Step 7 <> Disconnect power from the access point.
Step 8 <> Press and hold MODE while you reconnect power to the access point.
Step 9 <> Hold the MODE button until the status LED turns red (approximately 20 to 30 seconds) and then release.
Step 10 <> Wait until the access point reboots, as indicated by all LEDs turning green followed by the Status LED blinking green.
Step 11 <> After the access point reboots, reconfigure it using the GUI or the CLI.

Favas

this is a 3502i AP. what TAR file ios needed for that and where can you get it?   Thank you

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card