Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-CAP3602I-x-K9 running issues running 802.11n

Martin Bosch
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Running a wireless controller 5508 code 7.3 When I go on Monitor -> Clients.

I can see client MAC addresses with a protocol ie 802.11a / 802.11b / 802.11bn / 802.11an

Now on none of the devices have I seen them connecting at 802.11n

However is i setup between them directly I can run at 802.11n. Any idea where I might be missing a setting.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

It depends on the client adapter and the supplicant you use.... most don't show 802.11n.  Usually you either look at your signal strength from the supplicant or you can look at the Clients in the Monitor tab.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
However is i setup between them directly I can run at 802.11n

What's your setup like?   I mean are you using WPA2/AES, PSK or OPEN authenticatin?

What clients do you have out there?  Are you sure the clients are 802.11n capable?

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

801.11n clients show up as 892.11an or 802.11bn

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

I thought as much but what puzzels me is why does the client addaptor not show it as such?

In the cases where I see the 802.11bn / 802.11an - the client addaptor does not show it as N but rather something else

like ag?

It depends on the client adapter and the supplicant you use.... most don't show 802.11n.  Usually you either look at your signal strength from the supplicant or you can look at the Clients in the Monitor tab.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Thanks to all that came back.

One thing I have noticed - on the windows systems

U will see something like Intell ABN Radio or Centreno N chipset.

Now if u go to your wireless settings, Properties, wireless mode. u can see the values.

With the onboards I only see stuff like 802.11a / 802.11b or 802.11b/g.

I have a usb that I connected. And this one clearly on the properties shows the N. And Also connect as such.

So its clearly a client adaptor issue.

Again - thanks to all.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
However is i setup between them directly I can run at 802.11n

What's your setup like?   I mean are you using WPA2/AES, PSK or OPEN authenticatin?

What clients do you have out there?  Are you sure the clients are 802.11n capable?

Leolaohoo.. I wonder if you are not on to something here.

Let me explain. Right now I have 6 SSID's

The security policies differ anything from MAC Filtering / 802.1x / [WPA2][Auth(PSK)] and [WPA2][Auth(PSK)], MAC Filtering.

The one thing I did notice this morning. On my laptop on the one SSID I can connect at N (running MAC Filtering)  - The one I thought can't However swapping to another SSID. it only connects at ag.

Same laptop does connect at N back to my phone. So this confirms that the laptop can run at N using the internal card.

The infrastructure can run at N. I am just missing something to get the rest of the SSID's working at N. Does that make sence?

I have test tested with the 300meg card as well. Have the same thing. The one SSID I get N speeds.. the rest all ag

Hi all,

I finnaly understand why the controller is behaving this way.

I qoute  "

802.11n requires AES encryption to be enabled on  WLANs used by 802.11n clients. You can use a WLAN with NONE as Layer 2  Security. However, if you configure any Layer 2 security, 802.11n  requires WPA2 AES enabled to operate at 11n rates."

Source -  http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_tech_note09186a0080a3443f.shtml

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

N is supported on both A and G radio that's why it is showing AN, BN.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: