cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-CT2504-5-K9

rafalw_2
Level 1
Level 1

Is it a new WC or I missed it before? What is the price?

I am looking what are my options to set a wireless lab, have two 1242AG APs already and controller would be nice but prices are steep even for entry point (like most Cisco).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps6302/ps8322/ps11630/data_sheet_c78-645111.html

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This is a brand-new product.  Released last week.  First customer shipment in the next two weeks.

This is a CUT-DOWN version of the popular 5508.  Price will depends on your authorized reseller.

Otherwise, keep an eye out for 4400 or 2100 in the used market.  You can also try to get Cisco refurbished from Cisco themselves if you are interested (20% cheaper).

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This is a brand-new product.  Released last week.  First customer shipment in the next two weeks.

This is a CUT-DOWN version of the popular 5508.  Price will depends on your authorized reseller.

Otherwise, keep an eye out for 4400 or 2100 in the used market.  You can also try to get Cisco refurbished from Cisco themselves if you are interested (20% cheaper).

The cheapest 2106 which I can find is around $1k. Could you at least give me an idea if this thing new is priced higher or lower then 2106?

Do both, 2106 and 2504 have the same functionality? I will never go over 5 APs so basic license looks more then enough in my case.

Do both support a network extension (Cisco 600)? I can not figure out if it's a separate license or it's part of the number of supported APs.

I like this feature on Aruba and got curious about Cisco's implementation.

This 2504 is actually a bit strange product. Has 4 Gig interfaces but none are PoE and there is even a note "Access point directly connected to the controller is not currently supported.". Still at least from the looks it might be closer to the big controllers so better to learn....

Do not know..... I am still confused about these products.

The cheapest 2106 which I can find is around $1k. Could you at least give me an idea if this thing new is priced higher or lower then 2106?

No I won't.  There are so many things a 2100 can do that a wlc 2000 just can't/won't.  You know somethings not right when the 2000 was quickly superseded.  Sorry mate, I ain't going to recommend something that I personally won't use.

Do both, 2106 and 2504 have the same functionality?

Define "functionality".  If you mean very simple, wireless here and there they do have the same functionality.  If you want to go down the road of, for example, OfficeExtend then the this feature is only supported on the 2500/5500/WiSM-2.

I will never go over 5 APs so basic license looks more then enough in my case.

There's only one feature license.  The "license" in question is the number of AP the WLC can support.  This is easily upgradable as your business requirements grow.

Do both support a network extension (Cisco 600)?

The new AP600 is supported on the 2500/5500/WiSM-2 only.

This 2504 is actually a bit strange product. Has 4 Gig interfaces but none are PoE and there is even a note

Never has and never will.  Don't know with you but I don't agree with PoE and WLC in a box.  This is because most deployment has the APs connected to a (PoE) switch.

Please don't forget to rate our useful posts.  Thanks.

Do you mean you would not use this new 2504?

Strange, because from what you wrote it looks like the best learning WC you can get right now.

Do you mean you would not use this new 2504?

Oh no.  Maybe I misunderstood your question.  If I was given the option of using WLC 2000, WLC 2100, WLC 2500.  My first choice, of course, is the 2500 and followed by the 2100.  For budget purposes, I'd go for the 2100 and then the 2500.  2000 is never in my choice because 2000 is very slow, very old and just won't do the stuffs that 2100 can do.

By the way, thanks for the ratings. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card