cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-CT5520-K9 WLC AP Groups Limit 100 AP's

markh11
Level 1
Level 1

I administer a corporate customer's WiFi whereby we have multiple site locations with differing SSID requirements.

We therefore have a separate AP Group for each site.

One of these sites has now reached 100 AP's which I have only just discovered is the max number of AP's in a group.

What are the effects likely to be on a connected client if we create a new AP Group for the same site?

i.e. if a client goes from an AP on one floor in the first AP Group then goes to another floor in the new AP Group.

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@markh11 wrote:
One of these sites has now reached 100 AP's which I have only just discovered is the max number of AP's in a group.

What firmware is the WLC on?  

I have several hundred of AP Groups and each AP Group have more than 100 APs.  I do not remember seeing this limitation at all.

WLC is on Ver 8.10.185.0

For the last AP I configured I got this message on the CLI

>config flexconnect group site0006_flexgroup ap add 0C:d5:d3:00:93:80
Group site0006_flexgroup has reached MAX AP limit

That is not AP Group.  That is the limit for FLEXgroup.  

Apologies I got my terminology wrong.

So the limit is 100 AP's for a FlexGroup.

What are the effects likely to be on a connected client if we create a new FlexGroup for the same site?

i.e. if a client goes from an AP on one floor in the first FlexGroup then goes to another floor in the new FlexGroup.

The flex connect limitation will mean no seamless roaming between APs in different flex groups. If you run a 9800 WLC on 17.9 you can do 300 APs to a flex group.

That being said, you could sort the site to do the Flex groups for a roaming area.

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks Haydn. Could you please point me in the right direction to configure Flex Groups for a roaming area?

Would this solve our problem completely?

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

what code running on the WLC :

as i remember i do not se you can have different user groups, as long as they have same SSID broadcasting and they belong to same VLAN of IP address.

Good example :

https://mrncciew.com/2013/05/30/configuring-ap-groups/

also check the guide officially for reference :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-10/config-guide/b_cg810/configuring_ap_groups.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card