Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-LAP1242AG-A-K9s ALWAYS connect to secondary controller

Hi all,

I can't quite figure this one out.

I've manage a school district with 4 buildings, each with their own 4402 WLC. I'm trying to set up high availablity on the access points, which is going very well - except for one building.

When I set up high availability on access points in building B, primary is set to controller B, secondary to C, tertiary to D. Everything is working swimingly in building B, and the access points in building B find building B's controller. No problem.

My problem is building A. After a fresh, practically default config on the controller AND on all of the APs, building A works fine. No issues with the controller, no issues with any access points. Once I set up high availability, I set primary to building A, secondary to building C, tertiary to building D. Minutes after setting this, the access point in building A will disconnect from building A's controller and connect up to building C - the secondary. Hardware resetting the AP doesn't fix it - it just goes back to the secondary controller. The only fix is to blast the config on the AP and start it over.

This is only on building A - no other buildings I've set up so far have this issue. I can't figure this out. Would there be a global setting I'd have to put in? I've been assigning high availability individually on each access point through the controller GUI.

The controller just has a basic setup - one WLAN, no encryption, no RADIUS, isn't serving DHCP.

Any ideas?

3 Replies 3

Hi Jonathan,

Is this happens to every AP in that building A ? Make sure when you configuring HA for AP, you configure the WLC name & IP correctly (both are required).

Makesure "AP Fallback" is enable in "Controller -> General" page as well.

Which version of software you running on your 4402 ? Hope it is 7.0.250.0 which is the recommended & only supported WLC code by Cisco for this platform.

http://tools.cisco.com/security/center/content/CiscoSecurityAdvisory/cisco-sa-20140305-wlc
https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-40178

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just to clarify... WLC name is case sensitive!!!  Make sure there isn't any trailing white space also.

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hardware resetting the AP doesn't fix it - it just goes back to the secondary controller. The only fix is to blast the config on the AP and start it over.

If you have 4402 then it means that the maximum amount of APs a 4402 can support is 50.  How many APs are currently associated to Controller A?

What kind of AP (post the output to the command "sh version" and "sh inventory") is not associating to Controller A and what firmware is currently loaded in Controller A (post the ouput to the WLC command "sh sysinfo")?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card