cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 1242 AG

Pete1
Level 1
Level 1

Ok.. I'm ready to throw this thing away. 

I have a 4 year old 1242AG wireless router, and it was reset.  At this time I cannot access it in anyway.  I called Support to see if there was any help, but the operator says I "don't have a service contract" and sent me to forums..She won't create a case. I have now found forums, searched my model, and come up with info I do not understand.  

So, 

Aironet 1242 AG, how can I access it?  We reset it by unplugging, holding the mode button and plugging in.  

11 Replies 11

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

Once you have reset it, you will need to give it an IP address. If you can connect it to a subnet that offers DHCP, great. Otherwise you will need to use a console cable (credentials are Cisco/Cisco) and assign it an IP address:

!
int bvi1
  ip address <ip> <netmask>
!

cheers,

Seb.

I do not even know how to assign an ip address.
Looking online, I saw that as the step.. But I have no application that I'm aware that does that.

Can you not connect it to a network which runs DHCP? The APs typically have the MAC addresses printed on them so it is easy to find out what lease it has been given.

If you're not running DHCP, then the console port is your only option.

We use the router as a connection for a lighting console, and an iPad app.
The router doesn't go online if that's what you are asking.

...but the AP must be attached to a switch, connected to a router. Does the router run a DHCP server to provide addresses for devices on that subnet, or is it relayed to a DHCP server?

Do you have any access to the infrastructure that you are connecting the AP to?

Not at this time.
The router had issue and was replaced in our system. Currently I'm trying to see if I can make it work properly. If so, I'll reallocate it..
But currently I have a computer and the 1242 and a cat 5..

What's on the other end of the cat5? Your computer?

You could install some DHCP server software on it, which would listen for the APs DHCP requests and had it a lease. At least then you would be able to connect to it via its webGUI, or maybe telent (not sure about SSH after a reset).

cheers,

Seb.

Correct.. My Mac -> Cat5 -> Cisco Router..

OK, so I'm guessing that the router must manage the DHCP for you network?

...but you say you don't have the router currently, and you don't have any method to use the console port on the AP?

Your only option is to connect:

Mac <- cat5 --> AP

...and configure a DHCP server on Mac. (don't ask me how... :) ). This will give an IP address to the AP and you will be able access it.

cheers,

Seb.

We use a wireless router connected to an ETC ION lighting console. Using an App (iRFR-BTS) you then have a wireless remote for operating your console. Since this Cisco Router had issue, I replaced it.

Currently I'm trying to see IF this Cisco router can be repurposed.

So.. Again, at this time... I have it set up on my desk - just trying to get it set up.

Good Morning,

I received an email teling me about this update. 

After the last coorespondance and being told "don't ask me", and having my reply denied posting.

I have given up and sent the router to our IT department. 

I've found responses here unhelpful. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card