Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 1300

I have a building approximately 150-200m away from my main site, which I have connected to our LAN via non-Cisco 802.11b wireless bridges. My company is located in the city and we are aware of atleast 20 other wireless networks in close proximity. Ever since this site went online users have been experiencing slow or complete loss of network connectivity at regular intervals. Usually changing the channel to one we presume is less congested fixes the problem, but only temporarily.

We use Cisco Aironet 1400s for a couple of our other sites which have a higher number of users, but this new building only has about 5-6 people, so a solution using 1400s isnt justifiable.

We have finally had enough of the existing equipment and installed 1400s which we had spare, and the connection (like all of our 1400-linked networks) is working flawlessly.

Unfortunately we cannot leave it like this as we are also bringing another building online nearby, so this link will ultimately be running in point-to-multipoint mode so we will need 3 units.

We have been looking at the cheaper Cisco Aironet 1300 bridges but unlike the 1400s they don't run at 5ghz. I am concerned that if we purchase the 1300s we will be returning to the problems we have experienced previously because of other 2.4ghz networks nearby.

So after all that my question is, the 1300s have automatic channel selection which it obviously uses when it powers up to find the least congested channel, but if the channel it's using becomes congested, will it switch to another channel automatically? I'm guessing it wont, but hope springs eternal.

2 Replies 2

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Cameron,

You will still run into same issues, because all 802.11b or g certified wireless equipment will use the 2.4 ghz range. So your best bet is to set the Root bridge to use the LCF (least congested frequency) so that it changes the channel when congestion in that channel is experienced. The channel setting can only be set on the root bridge. You cannot set channels in non root bridges. If you look via CLI of a non-root bridge, the channel command is not even there under the dot11radio0 interface mode. When the root changes the channel, I believe, it will send a message to the non-roots to tell them which channel to shift to.

HTH

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Duplicate post!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW