Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 1552E with 8-dBi Directional Antenna AIR-ANT2588P3M-N

P.Brentakis
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

Im building a local wireless network and im going to use the Aironet 1552E outdoor cisco access point, with 2 patch-directional Antenna 8dBi (AIR-ANT2588P3M-N) at 2,4 GHz.

The problem im facing is that i have to cover a specific area with really thick walls (about 80cm cement and stone made). That obviously decreases my signal a lot. (i currently use an indoor cisco aironet 1130 (2dBi) and its really hard for it to have more than 3-4 signal bars inside the room).

So i would like to know, how can i calculate the distance that the new access point with the patch antenna's going to cover?

Or where can i find any specifications about the stength of the signal and the coverage area in real enviroment?

Thanks in advance for your answers and comments,

Periklis

2 Replies 2

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There isn't any calculations to determine the true signal attenuation to a given area. The only way this is achieved in the real would is through a site survey. Different AP's and antennas can be used together to see what combination can work or to determine if that area will not be covered.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Dear Scott,

I understand what you say, so to make it easier for you to provide me with a “possible” answer, I will inform you about the situation. And I hope that you will be able to help me.

We have already placed a local wireless network using the 1130AG cisco Access points. That Cisco as you know has a 2dBi omnidirectional internal antenna.  We placed them outside of the buildings, inside of electrological boxes to protect them from the environmental changes.  The walls that the signal has to penetrate are about 80cm of cement and stone. (pretty thick walls…)

Still, their signal differs (for ipad’s and smartphones) to 2-1  and laptops 4-5. Pretty good for an indoor AP placed outside of the buildings!

In order to increase our signal to the maximum that we can, we decided to change the 1130AG’s with 1532 E or 1552 E  AP’s.  And combine them with the 2,4GHz external 8dBi directional PATCH antennas.

After thinking about a way to provide better signal of wireless to our customers, we decided that  increasing the signals power from 2dBi to 8dBi as well as changing the antenna’s from omnidirectional to patch directional , we will be able to achieve better penetration of the signal inside the buildings.

What im questioning you is, IF that thought of ours has a logic and that IF is gonna work with the current situation.

Also, I would like to know since we will propably go for this method, in which high and distance from the 1st building it should be for better coverage?

Hope to hear from you soon, since I really need an expert’s help on this task.

Thank you

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card