cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 1832I update failing constantly

kwhunter
Level 1
Level 1

I am using HTTP transfer and it always aborts it; upgrading from 8.4.100 to 8.5.120.    Also, not sure how Cisco upgrades work... they just released 8.3.x after 8.5.x...

How are we supposed to upgrade, to which release?!   And why is not working?   First Cisco device that I cannot update the software

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi kwhunter,

As with most software versions across vendor it comes down to a balance between features and stability. There are some features in 8.4/8.5/8.6 that meet exactly the requirements that some people want e.g iPSK, but they may end up with a software version that isn't fully stable because the feature is new. From discussions around this forum at the moment, 8.3.x is a popular code at the moment because of stability.

For Mobility Express this changes things slightly because that is a fairly new product with features being introduced more quickly, so you are more likely to run slightly high versions of software such as the currently recommended 8.5.120.0, which is probably what I would try first. If you have problems, don't be afraid to downgrade to something earlier. It is rare that any of the experts on here would recommend running the latest releases (8.6.x) because these are generally the least tested images in the real world.

Ric

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

kwhunter
Level 1
Level 1

Managed to upload and upgrade the sw, however I am very confused with the release numbers that follow a different path than what I'm used to: consequently, from release 8.4.100 should I upgrade to 8.3.140 (latest release) or 8.6.101 (highest version)?!

Please enlighten me.

Thank you. 

Hi kwhunter,

As with most software versions across vendor it comes down to a balance between features and stability. There are some features in 8.4/8.5/8.6 that meet exactly the requirements that some people want e.g iPSK, but they may end up with a software version that isn't fully stable because the feature is new. From discussions around this forum at the moment, 8.3.x is a popular code at the moment because of stability.

For Mobility Express this changes things slightly because that is a fairly new product with features being introduced more quickly, so you are more likely to run slightly high versions of software such as the currently recommended 8.5.120.0, which is probably what I would try first. If you have problems, don't be afraid to downgrade to something earlier. It is rare that any of the experts on here would recommend running the latest releases (8.6.x) because these are generally the least tested images in the real world.

Ric

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts

Thanks, makes perfect sense.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card