cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet and Apple iPhone/iPad issue

fabiohscampos
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all. I have installed three Cisco Aironet 1131AG Wireless Access Points. All the access points have been configured with two SSIDs, each one in a different VLAN (VLAN 1 and VLAN 3). One of these SSIDs was configured for guest users. The authentication method is WEP (40 bits) Mandatory. All my devices can connect to the access points with no problem. It includes android devices, blackberry devices and PCs. Some users have Mac devices, such as iPhones and iPads. These devices have intermittent problems. Some times the devices can connect to the access point, other times, they do not. A message appears saying that the device could not connect to the Guest network. If someone can help me, I would appreciate.

Thank you,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Since WEP seems to be an issue with the iDevices, why not just create a new SSID using WPA2-AES. I would since WEP has been an issue.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Try to put the following before your WEP key: 0x

-Scott

Hi Scott Fella, thanks for your reply. I tried to put 0x before the password while configuring a few iPhone devices and it did not work. Also, I tried to disable aironet extensions (what I saw in other post) and did not work. I enabled aironet extensions again, as it was not the problem.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Since WEP seems to be an issue with the iDevices, why not just create a new SSID using WPA2-AES. I would since WEP has been an issue.

-Scott

Scott, worked fine with WPA2-AES. Problem solved. Thank you for your help!

fbarboza
Level 4
Level 4

When working with Apple devices we should either configure the SSID with no encryption or WPA version 2 with AES.

If you use WEP they may have issues.

I have seen this on different forums and even on apple forum.

Also I have also expircniend this issue at home with different brand of access points that if I have the SSID configured to use WEB as the encryption the apple devices may or may not connect and as soon as i configure the SSID to use WPA version 1 with TKIP or WPA version 2 with AES the MAC devices with issues start working fine.

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I know 802.1X with dynamic wep is problematic on "i" devices

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

I have had the issue even with static key.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card