Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet not loading when connected to new Dlink Switch

AP56603
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All.

First, apologies if I screw up any terminology, I'm not a network guy.  I'm trying to help out a charity with this issue and I'm stumped.  Hopefully someone can give me a push in the right direction.

For many years now, the agency has had a Cisco 2504 Wireless Controller with several access points in the building.  Controller is on an older firmware 7.6.130.0.  No idea if they have the rights / ability to upgrade firmware.

The access points are AIR-CAP1602I-A-K9.

After a switch upgrade, one of the access points looks like it’s loading and then cycles through Green, Yellow and Red LEDs.  The access point has a static IP Address and can be pinged when it’s doing this.  It’s powered with a Cisco PoE injector.

The old switching environment was a Dlink DGS-1210-52 connected with fiber back to a server room and into a Dlink DGS-1210-28 where the wireless controller was plugged in.  This setup ran for years.

The new setup is similar, but newer switches.  The Aironet/PoE Injector is now plugged into a Dlink DGS-1250-52X connected via 10GB Fiber back to the server room where it’s been upgraded to a Dlink DGS-1250-28X.

The network itself is flat, no VLANs setup and the switches were installed with factory defaults other than setting a password and IP address. 

After the symptoms started, the only changes I’ve made is to make the ports that connect the switches and the port that has the AP plugged in Trunk ports.  Beyond that, I haven’t done anything of note because it’s not really my in my wheelhouse.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?  I know a firmware upgrade would help but since I can’t get onsite, I’m wary of doing that remotely and making it worse for the few people who are working in the building.

Thanks very much,

Andrew

2 Replies 2

Hi Andrew,

From the blinking behaviour i would say that the AP is trying to join the controller and failing since it doesn't move on.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/1600/quick/guide/ap1600getstart.html#pgfId-37791 "Checking the Access Point LED"

Cycling through green, red, and amber = Discovery/join process in progress

The link to the AP doesn't need to be a trunk port, and if the wrong native VLAN is set (I don't know the equipment maybe it uses another native VLAN) that can cause trouble.

Things to consider:
Are there any other AP's plugged into the same switch that are working?
If you move the non working AP to another switch does it work?

Hope this helps, if not let me know.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Other than removing the trunk port like what was mentioned. You would need a console cable and connect to the access point to see what is happening.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card