Views
Helpful
Replies

Airplay support - Aironet AP1140 Standalone

stanchelchowski
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have been successfully using our Aironet 1140 AP in standalone mode with mainly Windows pcs & laptop users, and now, iPads and iPhones.

All seem to connect happily through the 1140.

Recently we have a requirent to be able to use Apple's Airplay. Basically, it is not working through the 1140, it works ok via wired ethernet. Can the 1140 support Airplay? - If yes, what precisely must be enabled/configured? - please be specific as I am very much a greenhorn on configuring this AP.

We have a single Class C network without any Vlans. I understand multicast must be enabled, I can't see where to enable this. I really would appreciate some guidance on getting this working if it is at all possible. Much appreciate your time.

Rgds.

Stan Chelchowski

http://www.stokemandevillestadium.co.uk/

7 Replies 7

Hello Yahya,

Will do.

Thanks for your prompt response. I'll get back to you with my report.

Rgds.

Stan Chelchowski

I had the same problem, i upgrade to the 15.2 (4) and solved this issue to.

Hello Yahya,

I read through all those links and no matter what I tried it didn't fix it.

However, I suddenly realised I have never upgraded the s/w on these devices. I downloaded the latest 12.4 version and it now works perfectly.

A lesson to all ( and me especially) - make sure your software is up to date......

Thanks for your help

Rgds.

Stan Chelchowski

Dorian Kind
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

sorry for reactivating this old thread, but I have the exact same problem with two autonomous AP1142N. The hosts involved are all on the same VLAN and subnet, so there should be no routing involved — in fact, whether IGMP snooping is activated or not doesn't make a difference.

The interesting part is that multicast pings from the wireless segment to the wired segment works, but the other way around is blocked at the AP.

If, on a host on the WiFi, I do a simple

ping 224.0.0.251

I get answers from multiple hosts in the wired segment (but only from there). The same ping from a wired host also only receives acknowledgments from the wired hosts.

So it appears as if the hosts on the WiFi are not able to join the multicast group. I've also noticed that many IGMP-related commands on the APs such as

show ip igmp groups

just return "router IGMP command not supported".

Finally there's a post on this forum that seems to imply that Bonjour support was broken in IOS v15 (which I have on the APs):

Scott Fella wrote:

The configurations look fine from what I also have read on the forums.  I just know the v15 has broke the bonjour stuff.

Thanks,

Scott

So all in all, I'm pretty confused. Is there any way I can get Bonjour to work with our APs?

Thanks for any and all feedback, even if it's just to let me know that it won't work.

Cheers,
Dorian

craig.beck
Level 1
Level 1

Sounds counter-intuitive, but try disabling IGMP snooping on the AP.

-Edit: just noticed you already tried that! Does any multicast traffic actually work at all over the AP?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thanks for your reply! Regarding multicast over the AP, I can ping a multicast address from the WiFi and receive answers from hosts on the wired network, but that's it. It seems like the AP doesn't consider any wireless host to be member of any multicast group.

If you need some more detailed testing, I'll gladly perform any diagnostics you'd need, I've also tried some iperf measurements using multicast traffic and had basically the same results.

If it's of any interest, here's the current IGMP snooping configuration (VLAN 99 is a guest network that's completely isolated from the rest, so I doubt it has any influence, but I've included it here for the sake of completeness):

cisco-pro>show ip igmp snooping

Global IGMP Snooping configuration:

-----------------------------------

IGMP snooping             : Disabled

IGMPv3 snooping           : Disabled

Report suppression        : Disabled

TCN solicit query         : Disabled

TCN flood query count     : 2

Vlan 10:

--------

IGMP snooping                       : Disabled

IGMPv2 immediate leave              : Disabled

Explicit host tracking              : Enabled

Multicast router learning mode      : pim-dvmrp

Vlan 99:

--------

IGMP snooping                       : Disabled

IGMPv2 immediate leave              : Disabled

Explicit host tracking              : Enabled

Multicast router learning mode      : pim-dvmrp

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card