Views
Helpful
Replies

Antenna Gain Configuration in WLC

hbaytie01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

What does it mean to specify in the WLC for each AP the dB of the antennas. The antenna is a passive component and it just focuses the signal, how come they give us the option to specify dBi, i don't understand the benefit and the effect. If we leave it zero, what happens?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ric Beeching
Level 7
Level 7

It is important your WLC knows what the antenna gain is so it knows what power level to set your AP radios at. This will ensure the power levels are within the regulatory/legal limits for your country.

Antennas apply passive gain to your signal after it has left the AP which will result in an overall increase of EIRP (Effective Isotropic Radiated Power).

AP Power - Cable Loss + Antenna Gain = EIRP.

Not setting this in the WLC could result in your AP exceeding the legal power limits.

Cheers,

Ric

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Ric Beeching
Level 7
Level 7

It is important your WLC knows what the antenna gain is so it knows what power level to set your AP radios at. This will ensure the power levels are within the regulatory/legal limits for your country.

Antennas apply passive gain to your signal after it has left the AP which will result in an overall increase of EIRP (Effective Isotropic Radiated Power).

AP Power - Cable Loss + Antenna Gain = EIRP.

Not setting this in the WLC could result in your AP exceeding the legal power limits.

Cheers,

Ric

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts

hbaytie01
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Ric for your reply, this means if i have a high gain antenna which will cause the EIRP to exceed the legal power level, the AP will lower the input power for this antenna. 

For this warehouse, i don't really care about the legal levels. I will leave it as default zero, in order to take the maximum power.

Tausif Gaddi
Level 1
Level 1

Power levels are within the regulatory/legal limits for your country.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card