cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Antenna Lightning Arrestor needed for outdoor Ap 1552 and 1572

kknguyen99
Level 1
Level 1

Do you really need any surge arrestor for direct omni antenna connection onto the AP N-type connector?

I read that's only needed if you have remote mount antenna with coaxial cable.

3 Replies 3

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I've never bothered with lightning arrestors, but you have to consider the environment it is going into and the requirements.

For instance, if you were putting it on the highest point of a tower then it is far more likely to be struck by lightening.  Or if it is going at a remote location that takes 2 days and $5000 to get to then the cost of a lightening arrestor is cheap insurance.

If it is going on the side of a building in a sheltered location (like mine usually do) then it is pretty unlikely to get a strike.

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Correct, only if you add cable. Frankly if there is a strike in the general area the antenna connected or not will likely be toast. 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

mohanak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It depends on the environment where you are installing. Overvoltage transients can be created through lightning static discharges, switch processes, direct contact with power lines, or through earth currents. The Cisco  Lightning Arrestor limits the amplitude and duration of disturbing interference voltages and improves the overvoltage resistance of in-line equipment, systems, and components.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card