cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP -1042 Configuration Guid

imranraheel
Level 1
Level 1

Is there ant simple configuration guid for 1042 , i have two floors and two WAN IPs one on each floor . I want to setup my users in such a way that they only See 1 SSID and they dont hav eto change anything when they move around from 1 floor to another .

Also i want to know the difference between the BVI 1 and Gigabit port , can i keep the IPs different also how can i enable DHCP for clients from the web interface

7 Replies 7

fbarboza
Level 4
Level 4

Are the 2 access points going to be on the same subnet or different subent ?

Since the 1042 are just layer 2 access points with no layer 3 option, we need to use only the BVI1 interface so we can assigne an IP Address to the AP and the AP is able to comunicate on the network via the gig port.

The access point has a ver basic DHCP feature that will only be able to provide IP address to the wireless clients if the wireless clients are connecting to an SSID linked to the same subnet as the AP ip address on the BVI1.

The DHCP option can only be enable via the CLI.

Here is the link where you can check on how to configure the DHCP option via the cli.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.4.25d.JA/Configuration/guide/scg12.4.25d.JA-chap5-admin.html#wp1090319

Thanks for the response.

So can I connect my WAN cable into one of the AP and configure it as a stand alone device like normal access point + router (Linksys WRT54G).

It has 1 Gigaethernet port I want to utilize it as a WAN port with global IP.

As I have been informed that I need another IOS on it so that it can operate without controller.

Please let me know

The 1040 cisco enterprise AP is just an access point, it only does layer 2 and no layer 3 routing like the

Linksys WRT54G home router  which is a layer 3 router with wifi option.

The units in IOS mode will have a part number like air-ap1040.x.x and the units in LWAPP mode will have a part number like AIR-LAP1040.x.x

Also is there an AP configuration guid explaning every part of the AP, as i can see i can assign IPs to radio Interface ethernet port and BVI interface . So what is the purpose of assigning IPs to Radio interface

Also is there any Cisco Router + AP available

Cisco has  the 871w,881w, 861w, 1941w, etc which are routers with an AP module inside.

Hi, you can configure ip address on the radio interfaces, gig port or other bvi interface and this is because the unit works with IOS and will take any IOS command but it does not mean it will support it. The cisco enterprise access points only support an ip address on te bvi1

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card