cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP 1200 HTTP upgrade to from 12.2(11) to 12.3-2

dopenfield
Level 1
Level 1

I'm attempting to upgrade the firmware to the latest version. I've downloaded the correct zip file and unzipped it.

When unzipped the 'apparent' correct filename becomes c1200-k9w7-mx.123-2.ja. The zip file has that 'mx' in the middle as 'tar'

When I attempt to point to the .JA file the upgrade runs for 15 minutes then says invalid format.

Should I be pointing to another file in the unzipped directory? The doco only says point to the Image file?

I am attempting this upgrade over the radio connection not the ethernet port, if that is important. I did find one comment in the doco about turning off the radio if running out of memory.

5 Replies 5

dopenfield
Level 1
Level 1

Hit post before I meant to....

I have downloaded the TAR file. Windows XP of course shows it as a zip file in the folder view.

When you select the file through HTTP/Windows the .TAR extension doesn't show up. I'm wondering if this causes the invalid format when the AP tries to load the file?

I tried the unzipping routine just to see if that would help, it doesn't.

Hi,

This is what the file should look like, c1200-k9w7-tar.123-2.ja.tar, Download using a TFTP server not HTTP, and I would not download through the radio, use the ethernet connection.

Terry

I totally agree that you should use tftp. Because the image is too big, you cannot use http for software upgrade starting 12.2(15)JA. We put it in the 12.2(15)JA release notes:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/wireless/airo1200/accsspts/bu12215/b15ja.htm#wp102888

TFTP Required to Upgrade 1200 Series Access Points to this Release

Software upgrades fail when you use the web-browser interface to install Cisco IOS Release 12.2(15)JA on 1200 series access points. The image size exceeds the access point's 4-MB restriction for software upgrades. Use TFTP to upgrade your 1200 series access point to this release. For complete instructions on using TFTP to upgrade access point software, see the "Working with Software Images" section on page 20-18 in the Cisco IOS Software Configuration Guide for Cisco Aironet Access Points.

Thanks, that's the info we were looking for.

Should that caveat be in other places? I didn't find it in the release notes for the version I'm attempting.

I got TFTP via the wired port working yesterday.

As far as I know, we only document the caveat in 12.2(15)JA. I did look at release notes for 12.3(2)JA. The problem is not documented there. I will work with the documentation and try to add the problem in every release notes.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card