Helpful
Replies

AP blinks green

Moudar
VIP
VIP

Hi,

Please see this short video:

I noticed that one of the APs has a solid blue LED, which seems to be normal. However, the other AP has a blinking green LED (which blinks all the time). Can you explain why it's blinking green (only green)? Also, what's the purpose of mounting two APs close together?

AP model AIR-CAP2702I-E-K9

I have tested monitor mode on the same model but the led was solid green and not blinking, so what am i missing here?

6 Replies 6

liviu.gheorghe
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello @Moudar ,

please see the following link for AP led status:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/2700/quick/guide/ap2700getstart.html#pgfId-37791

Do you see it associated on the controller?

Regards, LG
*** Please Rate All Helpful Responses ***

As I don't own that AP, I cannot confirm if it's connected to a controller. However, I'm curious why it's positioned so close to another AP and has been blinking green for several years.

I'm afraid I cannot answer your question. It's a good question for the guys that dis the site survey which should have determined the AP's position.

My guess is that the AP in question either has some hardware problems - if you look at the causes for blinking green, you can see that they are related to hardware checking and booting the IOS - or some software problems with the IOS, or it's not associating with the WLC.

Regards, LG
*** Please Rate All Helpful Responses ***

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Given its a 2700 series AP it may have hit the certificate expiry issue causing it not to join the controller, hence the flashing green:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/field-notices/639/fn63942.html 

As for why so close, im guessing it may have been for capacity reasons are there heaps of devices below this area?
Its also a bit hard to tell from that video but the APs look to be over 4m high which isnt best practice to mount internal model antennas.
Also hard to say but are those APs less than 4m apart

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi,

Under the AP that blinks there are about 100 self scanning devices like these:

self-scanning.JPG

I’m not sure if these devices use wifi, bluetooth, or some other way of communicating.

The height is about 6 meters and the distance between the two APs is less than 3 meters.

Maybe the purpose was to support these devices and all the people who enter this mall (These APs are mounted at the entrance)

In the end, maybe this shopping mall has a lazy network admin who sees the APs blinking but does nothing.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

So blinking green looks like AP unable to boot
You'd need to be on the AP console to see why it isn't booting.

Those handheld terminals for self-scanning are usually connected to WiFi.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card