Views
Helpful
Replies

AP disassciotates from controller due to low power from ethernet in flexmode

betha yamini
Level 1
Level 1

WLC: 5508

switch : Nortel 8300 (POE supported , not POE+)

AP :3702 E

In local mode everything works fine but after configuring to flex mode initially it works but few times ap disassciates from controller, switch port still lies up

In prime : throws an error ap draws low power from ethernet.

10 Replies 10

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There shouldn't be a difference between local and or FlexConnect.  You will get alerts because your not using PoE+, but it's something you have to look into more especially if your testing is done from he same ap and same switch port.  If in local mode the AP never dissassociate's but when you change the mode to FlexConncect, it does dissassociate's from the WLC, then you might be running into a bug.  

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

Thank you so much for your  reply . Currently running with 7.6.120.0 version in 5508 wlc.

Requesting you share  if any relevant bug id, that would be great help

adding to above point it happens same to multiple access points. on the same ap and switch port it works for local mode.

Might be something you want to open a TAC case on.  Don't really know.  I'm assuming your not seeing any errors on the switch side?

-Scott

-Scott

Hi Scott,

This is happening only on the access points connected using POE. But switch side there is no issue on switch . After changing the ap from local to flex it works for some time and later it disjoins from controller. But switch port remains to stay up .

So if revert the configuration back on switch as local configuration then everything seems to be fine.

I don't know. You have CDP enabled on the switch port?  dont know what else I can provide you. I don't have any installs of 3700's connected to non Cisco PoE+ switches and non on FlexConnect mode either. 

-Scott

-Scott

switch these AP connected is nortel switch..

As you told these Wlc is running with deffred release. would try upgrading to 7.6.130.0

Thank for your support and quick reply.

Hi Scott,

Last week we had upgraded to 7.6.130.0 but no luck , still the same issue.

Local mode it is discovering the Controller but, After the flex configuration

it is not discovering the controller.

The method to discover the controller is the same for local and FlexConnect mode. It seems that the 3702 is buggy but I haven't ran into that issue yet. If you place the ap in the same suvnet as the WLC management and it still fails to join, then you need to open a TAC case so they can investigate further. 

-Scott

-Scott

v7.6.130.0 is the code to be on for that version. Also making sure you have updated the FUS to 1.9.0.0 is also a good idea.  Of course you will need a valid support contract to download the images as you know. As far as bugs, you can look at the release notes for that code to see what is fixed and what is open.  Cisco has a bug tool that you can search on also. Not all bugs are listed, only the ones released to the public will be found on the release notes or the tool. 

-Scott

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: