cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP Joined a WLC with incompatible firmware/code

mattnicomn10
Level 1
Level 1

For anyone that runs into the same issue.

So, I moved 100+ APs, 3502s, using Prime to a WLC that had updated firmware. The 3502s are not compatible with 8.10.162.0, so the WLC I moved it to showed some CAPWAP errors stating, " no license present with the AP trying to join". We disabled Licensing on it. Using: Config ap cert-expiry-ingore mic enable/disable. It took about 10-15 mins and the APs joined a WLC that was compatible with the 3502s. I then used prime to reconfigure them to the appropriate WLC. 

2 Replies 2

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You always need to look at the compatibility matrix.  Never assume when you upgrade or downgrade or introduce a new device.  If you consoled into the ap, you would see a message stating an error about the code not being supported.  Anyway's, if you don't have it, here is the link to the matrix:

Cisco Wireless Solutions Software Compatibility Matrix - Cisco

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Rich R
VIP
VIP

"config ap cert-expiry-ingore mic enable/disable" has nothing to do with licensing - it disables/enables certificate date validity checks.

Like @Scott Fella said you need to read release notes, deployment guides, TAC recommendations and support matrix docs before embarking on major changes.

In this case if "config ap cert-expiry-ingore mic enable/disable" solved your problem then you were hitting the certificate expiry issue very comprehensively documented (and referenced dozens of times on these forums) in the field notice:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/field-notices/639/fn63942.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card