cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP monitoring of WLC9800 with external monitoring software

Translator
Community Manager
Community Manager

This is my first post to ask a question, apologize if any inadequacies in this question.

I'd like to draw on your experiences regarding what kind of monitoring software you use to monitor the 9800. ※I believe Cisco DNA is the best one though..

I get the following items for each AP slot connected to the 9800 on zabbix.

■ Channel utilization - bsnAPIfLoadChannelUtilization

■The channel number in use in that slot is bsnAPIfPhyChannelNumber

■Number of clients connected to the slot: bsnApIfNoOfUsers

I believe many companies have been getting more and more inquiries such as "The network was disconnected and online meetings were disconnected," for recent several years and there are many engineers who are busy dealing with it.

I understand that the main reasons of these inquiries in recent years would be;

- After the COVID 19 pandemic, when the attendance rate increased, in-house meetings were centered on web meetings. This has increased the average in usage traffic per user and made users more sensitive to the radio quality.

- There is no RF design in the field, which causes a sharp increase in utilization due to channel interference and a fluctuation in channel no due to DCA operation.

- Increased channel utilization due to excessive client connectivity to 1 AP

WLC9800 can't go back and look at the number of connected clients and channel utilization. I think that the collection of historical data is now required to manage with other tools other than 9800. What kind of tools do more engineers manage?..

2 Replies 2

pieterh
VIP
VIP

Cisco DNA center is not necessarily "the best"...
But as it is Cisco's own product that has matured over time (and still developing new features) it is a good product to investigate.
Be aware it has a learning curve and is rather expensive, so your site needs a certain size (number of AP's) to make the investment worth while.

Translator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for your reply. The DNA Center is still suitable for investigation, but the cost-effectiveness varies greatly depending on the size. Thank you for your continued consideration.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card