Views
Helpful
Replies

AP Power Level

janvelgado_16
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

Given: 5520 WLC, high density access points, concrete walls. 1832 APs. 

TPC Version Coverage Optimal Mode (TPCv1)
Power Level  Assignment Mode Automatic
Maximum Power Level Assignment (-10 to 30 dBm) 30
Minimum Power Level Assignment (-10 to 30 dBm) -10
Power Threshold (-80 to -50dBm) -70

Is it okay to statically configured the power level of the APs to custom level 1 instead of using RRM (which normally gives 7* or 8*)?

Or should i adjust the configuration of minimum and maximum power level?

Does hysteresis also needs to be changed?

Regards,

JE

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Is it okay to statically configured the power level of the APs to custom level 1 instead of using RRM (which normally gives 7* or 8*)?

No.

It is not recommended to increase AP power level to 1 at any circumstances. This will lead your client see very good signal strength, but they can't communicate back to AP as client devices cannot match AP power level.

Always try to match AP power level to average client power capability if you want to set it manually. Otherwise leave it to RRM to decide.

If you see RRM set 7* or 8* power level, which indicate dense AP deployment where  there are many APs on same operating channel.

Yes, this is a good idea. For example, in my network I have set 8dBm as min and 17dBm as max value under TPC for 5GHz band.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

No.

It is not recommended to increase AP power level to 1 at any circumstances. This will lead your client see very good signal strength, but they can't communicate back to AP as client devices cannot match AP power level.

Always try to match AP power level to average client power capability if you want to set it manually. Otherwise leave it to RRM to decide.

If you see RRM set 7* or 8* power level, which indicate dense AP deployment where  there are many APs on same operating channel.

Yes, this is a good idea. For example, in my network I have set 8dBm as min and 17dBm as max value under TPC for 5GHz band.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card