cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP1200 with other Vendor Wireless cards

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

I have taken over a network with 20 Aironet 1200 Access Point, which I believe they were upgraded via a module to support B/G wireless along with A support. I have no wireless experience. Our old laptops have Cisco wireless A cards which works perfectly at 54Mbps. We have just bought several new HP laptops with built in wireless B. At close range like 2 metres connection is fairly OK but really dodgy. Move further away from the AP the laptop loses connection. I have noticed this with other Vendors Wireless B/G cards - same issue. I have turned off Aironet Extension with extensive research and still not having any luck. Wireless A has a different SSID than B/G. I have max out all power on both the AP and laptops with B/G cards. I have disabled A and tried using B/G only - no chance. I have also updated the AP with the latest IOS. Please someone help me, I have just taken over this network and its nothing but a complete mess. One other thing I have noticed that the wireless network is OPEN..

7 Replies 7

Not applicable

I am running into the same problem. I recently purchased 3 1200 series AP's along w/the cisco aironet a/b/g wireless adapter cards. With the Cisco cards the connection is great @ 54mbps. The problem is when I try to use a non Cisco card which is a "b" card. We are in the hospitality industry and the wireless will be used for our guests and there is no way for us to guarantee what type of card they will have. I have also checked the box for non-aironet support with no luck. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Hi!

Your problem is probably that you have only 802.11a integrated antenna (5GHz band). You have to buy aditional 802.11b/g antenna (with RP-TNC connectors) for 2.4GHz band. That is the reason that you have 802.11b connection only near AP (you do not have anntenna).

I hope this will solve your problems,

Srdja

what is your exact problem? If you are trying to use LEAP or some other security measures, I have seen problems with other client cards connecting also (it depends on what the client supports if it will connect or not).

robpeay
Level 1
Level 1

Mark, your problem definately appears to be the antenna. I would recommend purchasing the little black omni-directional antenna. You may hear people refer to them as "little rubber duckie" antenna. Here is a link also that will show you what you need for the 2.4Ghz G model radios. Check the specs at the bottom to the right and you will see what you need.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_data_sheet09186a00800937a6.html#wp1001954

Not applicable

I have a 9dbi external antenna, it looks like a flat piece of white plastic, it is hooked up to 2.4ghz right primary and it still doesnt work, I took the AP apart and there was no card in the bottom. Please help, I'm beating my head off of the wall. TIA

hey robpeay!!i donnt know what is exactly the little omni directional antenna look like please give us a link that shows what does it look like and how does it installed.thanxxx

richkrissi
Level 1
Level 1

Definitely sounds like antenna problem.1200 ap supports two different antenna connections. If you are running a and b/g you will need an antenna for each of those frequencies. Try taking a look at these antennas for your b/g problem.

http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/hgv-2404_06_09U.php

Also, remember you need to manage that access point and check to see if you are set up with diversity or left and right config. VXWorks has this, not sure if Cisco IOS version does.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card