cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP1562E wont register with WLC5520

jmcgrady1
Level 1
Level 1

I have many 3802 and 1562 APs running from my 5520 controller (ios 8.3.143).  I have tried to connect two new 1562 AP. They receive an IP from DHCP (including option 43 values). I can ping the IP they receive. However there is no sign of them on the WLC or in its log.  The APs sit for a few minutes and then reboot. I dont have access to the console on the AP. 

Any suggestions?

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Look at the delivery documentation and check if the APs are in MESH or CAPWAP mode.  
If they are in MESH and you need them to be in CAPWAP then you need to console into the AP.  

What Regulatory Domain are the APs and do they match with the controller?

Indeed it does appear that the AP is in bridge/mesh mode.  Is there a workaround i can use without having to console onto the unit?  Perhaps attach a second AP to the same switch vlan?

First, the MAC address of the APs need to be manually added to WLC.  Once the APs join the WLC, convert them to local mode.  

Adding MAC Addresses of Mesh Access Points to MAC Filter

1. check if you have enough AP license to add more APs. 2. and try to give manually reset the APs so they will be on default local mode.

good luck !!

Thanks Leo.  Regarding outdoor 1500 AP - is there a way to determine the BVI MAC apart from via the console?

Also, i notice my 1562 firmware is a higher revision than the software on the WLC. Will this cause an issue?

@jmcgrady1 wrote:

Regarding outdoor 1500 AP - is there a way to determine the BVI MAC apart from via the console?

Option 1:  "sh cdp neighbors" will come up with the default AP name.  The default AP name is the "AP" + MAC address. 

Option 2:  Inside the box where the APs came with have a sticker that contains the serial number, model number and the MAC address.

@jmcgrady1 wrote:

Also, i notice my 1562 firmware is a higher revision than the software on the WLC.

Once the AP joins the controller, the WLC will push the correct firmware to the APs. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card