cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP1815W-B-K9 not joining the ME controller

brianlloyd
Level 1
Level 1

I have a small AP network running that has been running quietly and happily for a couple years. Recently one of the AP1815i-B-K9 failed and all that I could lay hands on quickly was an AP1815W-B-K9. It appears to come up normally and appears in the ME console. However it does not seem to properly join the ME controller, which is running in an AP1832i-B-K9.

When I enter Wireless Settings of the ME console, select the AP in question, make any changes, e.g., try to change its location, and then attempt to apply the change, I receive the follow error message:

Error, unable to verify AP. AP may not exist or is not registered.

Likewise, under Monitoring>Network Summary>Access Points and I try to double-click on the AP in question, I receive this error message:

AP having MAC Address ["e4:4e:2d:56:aa:b8"] currently Not Joined with this Controller!!!

This is not how things went the first time around. One possible guess is that the 1832i that is running the ME controller is running an old version not compatible with the version in the new AP, but that is just a guess. (I haven't upgraded the firmware for some time.) I could use a bit of guidance in determining where I need to go from here.

Thank you in advance.

6 Replies 6

Hi

If they worked before, version should not be a problem. Unless someone change AP software version. Those devices does not apply update even if they have Internet access. 

You can reset everything and configure again, probably the better way or you can try to troubleshooting. For the second option, a.console cable will ne necessary. The AP and or the wlc must generate logs when the join process fail

Thank you for your reply. The issue here is that this is a new AP, fresh out of the box. Unfortunately I do not have the console adapter (AIR-CONSADPT=) for the AP so looking at the log there is a bit of a challenge. Apparently I cannot use SSH or telnet to log into the new AP either. I am at somewhat of a loss here.

Alright, then, version mismatch make sente. 

Are you able to upgrade the wlc? 

No, I do not have a service contract for the controller and without the console cable for the 1815W, I can't even configure it manually. My current plan is to return the 1815W and get a 1832i-B-K9, which have come down in price that of the 1815i that failed. (End-of-life products tend to get pretty inexpensive quickly.) I have a console cable for that and can configure it to be primary or secondary ME admin.

Thank you for your help.

Sounds like a plan.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

This sounds like a software download problem for your new AP.

- Is your TFTP server configured correctly on your ME AP?

- Is the correct software image for your new AP available on the TFTP server for the AP to download?

Read my answers and the original poster's answers on https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/ap1832i-cannot-join-more-aps-after-configuring-master-with-mob/td-p/4607708 which I think was the same thing.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card